TechSpot

Find My iPhone exploit may be linked to massive celebrity photo hack

By Shawn Knight
Sep 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A smattering of leaked images of various celebrities in the nude hit the web over the weekend. Initial reports claim the hackers involved managed to infiltrate the iCloud accounts of several high-profile targets, perhaps using the method detailed below.

Read more

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 751   +270

Noooooo... Apple doesn't have security problems, they said they were secure! /endSarcasm

Darkshadoe likes this.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,390   +329

Jennifer Lawrence also got leaked pics online now... DAMMN she has a body that rocks my socks....

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

Surely they must mean the Google or MS cloud because the iCloud is impervious to hack attacks or so I've been told, not to mention blasphemous to iFans .

coolazeem likes this.
  5. This is not an apple bug, it's called a feature.

SalaSSin likes this.
  6. How dare thee speak such heresy! The Church of Apple will not stand for this!

Mark Alchem likes this.
  7. How many times do we need to say it

NEVER TRUST THE CLOUD

you have stuff that's private and cant be seen? encrypt THE **** out of it and store it yourself

SantistaUSA likes this.
  8. IOsis the most insecure OS out there. Security issues always show up every two three months.

The SSL goto fail was bad. The Amazon crack was another. Find my iPhone, the list is endless.

It's amazing that IOs even has a market share, considering all these holes showing up consistently every few months for the past three years.

9. Snowden

Snowden TS Member Posts: 68   +31

Another reason not to trust Apple. You may think Microsoft were slow to the phone revolution but really they just wanted to see Apple's mistakes and how not to make them.

10. Im sure the FBI would get just as involved if it was pictures of common folk that were leaked. right?

11. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

That's why they should use my stolen android phone finder app, altho it's not for apple. It's not hacked.

12. So basically, Hollywood is run by pimps and pedophiles who make prospective actresses into their *****s if they want to get into a movie. Most of those photos look like someone took it to blackmail them in case they refused to be a ***** for the Hollywood power players anymore.

13. Think about the implications if the kill switch garbage that California just past was online....

You could lock all the ios devices which you had the iaccount passwords to.

14. noel24

noel24 TS Maniac Posts: 304   +154

May I just say, after looking at Jlaw's photos, that I'm not impressed with them? For a such glorified and expensive device, iPhone makes mediocre low light photos. Those celebrities should buy themselves a middle range Nokia or something...

15. alinazhibek

alinazhibek TS Rookie

Just in case you were off planet when the Edward Snowden Scandal came to light, there is really no such thing as 100% secure file storage if its connected to the internet. (Especially if you use any third party storage...) I store EVERYTHING on a portable hard drive... and disconnect it when I am not using it.. You can get a terabyte portable hard drive for around $150.00, I never have to worry about losing anything or anyone stealing my files...and I don't pay a monthly fee..

Hell, I don’t even really use my “smart phone”. My old dumb-one is good enough for me and its cheaper. It’s a waste of money just like so many other things in America like student loans (get a cheap education!), expensive car insurance (my $25/month policy from Insurance Panda is good enough for me), and fast food (who wants to pay $10 for a Chipotle burrito?!?).

Also - One way to completely ensure there are no bad photos of yourself that could wind up in an embarrassing situations is to NOT take them. Seems pretty logical to me...

16. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

@alinazhibek - for all your apparent price savvyness you are getting screwed on HD prices. Western Digital 1TB portable USB 3 for $65 at newegg right now. A bunch of others aren't much above that. Several 2TB ones for $99.