TechSpot

Find My Mobile exploit lets an attacker remotely lock, wipe or ring Samsung smartphones

By Shawn Knight
Oct 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. California is leading the way in smartphone kill switch legislation but at least one implementation has already been found to have a fatal flaw. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) as well as a separate security researcher have...

Read more

2. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

I turned that "feature" off right after I purchased by new note 4. I don't need sammy or uncle sam or "you know who" messing with my phone.

3. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

That's why they need my stolen phone app which hasn't been hacked. Truthfully, it hasn't sold a single one except to friends. My fax app has sold. Gonna start telemarketing it this week. You could all work for me, really google, by downloading it, making $12-14 per sale, explained in the description in the google play store. Don't need a smartphone to get to the google play store.

4. JohnnyStone

JohnnyStone TS Enthusiast Posts: 40

Designed by Apple. I would not be surprised at all.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,475   +2,033

Another minute, another hack or crack. Everything has it's flaws. I use Androids built in 'find & lock' feature instead but it's probably just as vulnerable.

6. Don't expect a update that will resolve this problem any time soon from Samsung, as it requires a full OS rewrite. Past OS updates take on average 4 to 5 months to be released. Samsung rewrote Android to include this "feature" in the OS, so in order to release a repair will require a full rewrite, which also means a full OS download of in excess of 3GB when the update becomes available

7. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

Do you know why Samsung hasn't address the matter. It's because there isn't really a matter to fix this is useless and can't really be used in a real world example. Yes it doesn't look at the source but does look at the Samsung account details so the "attacker" has to know your samsung username/password before they can then go on to send lock messages etc. More bloody scaremongering getting stupid this now.

8. Of you could use Androids "Device Protection Manager" from the Google Playstore. Which I imagine to be better than Samsungs