Finding compatible RAM for old motherboard

Hey all,

I recently dug up an old computer and wanted to use it but realized it is way too slow and the specs aren't even good enough to install Windows 7.

I currently have 512mb of RAM on that computer but I want to replace it and find a 2gb RAM that is compatible with my motherboard. I have an extra slot available for RAM.

How am I able to tell if the RAM I want is compatible with my motherboard?

Here is my system information from dxdiag:

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
System Model: KM400-8235
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6. 00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~ 1.5 GHz
Memory: 448MB RAM
Page file: 218MB used, 839MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Thanks in advance and I really look forward to your help!

Sorry for the double post but I also want to find out how I am able to tell which processor is compatible with my motherboard.

Am I better off getting a completely new motherboard or would a new processor and a new RAM do it?

Thanks!

This is about all I could find that is of use.
http://www.fixya.com/support/p299530-msi_km4m_v_km400_socketa_333fsb_2ddr/manual-15314

CPU
  • Supports AMD Æ Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron (Socket 462) processor. Supports from 1100MHz up to 3000+ or above @ 266/333 MHz.
Chipset
  • VIA Æ KM266 Pro/KM400/KM400A chipset
    • FSB @ 266/333 MHz. (for KM266 Pro & KM400 ); FSB @ 266/333/400 MHz. (for KM400A only).
    • Supports AGP 4X (for KM266Pro); AGP 8X (for KM400 & KM400A).
  • VIA Æ VT8237 chipset
    • Integrated Direct Sound AC97 audio.
    • Dual channel Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 master mode EIDE controller.
    • ACPI & PC2001 compliant enhanced power management.
    • Integrated USB2.0 controller, 8237 supporting 8 ports
Main Memory
  • Supports four memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMMS.
  • Supports maximum memory size up to 2GB for single channel mode.

Here are some compatible RAM upgrades: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?mfr=MSI (Micro Star)&model=MS-7061 (KM4M-V

For your 2nd question...

Pros of upgrading RAM and CPU:
1. You won't have to reinstall Windows, existing installation is still in tact.
2. Hardware wise, everything you have is compatible with the upgrade (provided you purchase the right CPU).
3. Cheaper in the short term.

I really don't recommend it though, it is a horrible price to performance exchange vs building a new system. It is justifiable to upgrade (as opposed to building) if you are extremely tight on money and really like your current Windows installation.

Building a new system means you will have to replace everything (perhaps even your monitor) outside of your KB and Mouse. SATA HDs, CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU...

Hey all,

I recently dug up an old computer and wanted to use it but realized it is way too slow and the specs aren't even good enough to install Windows 7.

Does this thing have an OS now? 'Cause if it has XP, I see no reason to install Windows 7.

If it doesn't have an OS, slap a copy of Ubuntu Linux in it, and start saving for a new box.

Sorry for the double post but I also want to find out how I am able to tell which processor is compatible with my motherboard.
"Upgrading" a CPU in something this ancient is really a fool's errand.

Besides, it's somewhat questionable if you can even find drivers for a Win 7 installation.

In many cases, OEMs didn't even write drivers for XP boxes to "upgrade" to Vista, let alone Win 7.

Last edited:
Back