TechSpot

Finding compatible RAM for old motherboard

By beekay8
Mar 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all,

I recently dug up an old computer and wanted to use it but realized it is way too slow and the specs aren't even good enough to install Windows 7.

I currently have 512mb of RAM on that computer but I want to replace it and find a 2gb RAM that is compatible with my motherboard. I have an extra slot available for RAM.

How am I able to tell if the RAM I want is compatible with my motherboard?

Here is my system information from dxdiag:

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    System Model: KM400-8235
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6. 00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~ 1.5 GHz
    Memory: 448MB RAM
    Page file: 218MB used, 839MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Thanks in advance and I really look forward to your help!

2. beekay8

beekay8 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry for the double post but I also want to find out how I am able to tell which processor is compatible with my motherboard.

Am I better off getting a completely new motherboard or would a new processor and a new RAM do it?

Thanks!

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,137   +1,530

This is about all I could find that is of use.
    http://www.fixya.com/support/p299530-msi_km4m_v_km400_socketa_333fsb_2ddr/manual-15314

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

Here are some compatible RAM upgrades: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?mfr=MSI (Micro Star)&model=MS-7061 (KM4M-V)

For your 2nd question...

Pros of upgrading RAM and CPU:
    1. You won't have to reinstall Windows, existing installation is still in tact.
    2. Hardware wise, everything you have is compatible with the upgrade (provided you purchase the right CPU).
    3. Cheaper in the short term.

I really don't recommend it though, it is a horrible price to performance exchange vs building a new system. It is justifiable to upgrade (as opposed to building) if you are extremely tight on money and really like your current Windows installation.

Building a new system means you will have to replace everything (perhaps even your monitor) outside of your KB and Mouse. SATA HDs, CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU...

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,834   +925

Does this thing have an OS now? 'Cause if it has XP, I see no reason to install Windows 7.

If it doesn't have an OS, slap a copy of Ubuntu Linux in it, and start saving for a new box.

"Upgrading" a CPU in something this ancient is really a fool's errand.

Besides, it's somewhat questionable if you can even find drivers for a Win 7 installation.

In many cases, OEMs didn't even write drivers for XP boxes to "upgrade" to Vista, let alone Win 7.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.