Fingerprint scanner for security

By beerabuser30
Nov 10, 2005
  1. Has anyone used the fingerprint scanner for windows? I have nothing on any computer worth anything but having a fingerprinter scanner sounds really cool.
  2. Sharam

Sharam TS Rookie Posts: 509

How much do they go for? Can you provide a link? I can search but if you already have, please share. I heard about them some time ago.

I wouldn’t use it in highly critical environment though, much easier to cut one’s finger than to hack a 16 digit Alpha-Numeric password.

I think eye scanners are better.

For home use though, would be cool, I’d get one for my system if they’re not that expensive.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

It is convenient - easier to move your finger than type in 30 characters of gibberish :)
    And much more cheaper than iris scanners.

Also, if a big guy approaches you with a knife, would you rather die than tell the password? And if you do work in such a place where choosing death would be an option then that guy with a knife getting to you indicates some serious security issues elsewhere.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

These 'scanners' are associated with IDS (Intrustion Detection Systems).
    This article has some information.

The are Pros & Cons to almost everything :)
  5. Sharam

It is the IFs and BUTs that will get you since there are so many of them, so one of them IFs will get "you" one day :D
  6. jobeard

tcp stack probe

here's an article for determining the OS from the TCP stack probe
  7. Sharam

Thanks a lot for the links jobeard! Good read.
  8. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 200

It was made by microsoft and I just saw it at BestBuy wasn't even on a crazy web link or anything. I do agree retna scanners would be much more cool. It was only $55 as well.
  9. jobeard

biometric devices

re fingerprints from human hands: biometric devices
    here's an article
  10. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I have a fingerprint scanner built into my work laptop. It is very handy as Nodsu said regarding ease of password and use. But as far as security goes, I have had friends try, as well as my other fingers and it has not let anyone but myself in (with only the programmed digit). The only bad thing is that I have to change my password every 45 days or so and after using the fingerprint for so long at times I forget my old password :eek:
  11. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

It's also easier to remember your finger than the secure password.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.