Firefox 24 delivers mass tab closing on desktop, WebRTC on Android

Shawn Knight

Staff member

firefox webrtc android firefox 24

The latest revision of Firefox is now available for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. Firefox 24 delivers a number of improvements including the ability to quickly and easily close a selection of tabs on the desktop as well as NFC sharing and WebRTC on Android.

Firefox 24 isn’t exactly a huge update for desktop users but there are a few noteworthy changes. Mac users will find a new scrollbar style when using OS X 10.7 or newer while a new social feature allows users to tear-off chat windows to view separately by dragging them out. The biggest change on the desktop, however, is probably the ability to close all tabs “to the right” with a single click.

On the mobile side, WebRTC is now enabled by default on Android. WebRTC, is a new HTML5 API that enables real-time communication like video calls directly in the browser. The three WebRTC components (getUserMedia, PeerConnection and DataChannels) will grant developer access to a user’s webcam and microphone, enable calls from one browser to another and allow peer-to-peer data transfer between browsers without the assistance of a server, respectively.

Firefox 24 for Android now also supports sharing via NFC. Enabled devices can share open tabs simply by bumping two devices together. Elsewhere, the built-in Reader now lets users change fonts, add an article to the Reading List and even save all content offline. There’s even an option to reverse background and text color (dark text on a light background or light text on a dark background).

You can pick up Firefox 24 for Windows, Mac and Linux by clicking here or grab the Android version by visiting this link.

Permalink to story.

Wow it took them forever to actually get the "mass tab closing" feature implemented, it was one of the great features on Chrome that I missed on Firefox, well no more!

Whoop-de-freakety-do, I can close tabs on my left now, I can close tabs on my right now, ... I'm pumped...

My philosophy is this - if your desktop gets stinky-full of useless browser pages, stop #ucking clicking on every trash link you see in this public trash bin a.k.a Internet.

The bottom line is this...
There can never be a browser good enough to counteract the lawful right of its user to be an idi0t.

There can never be a browser good enough to counteract the lawful right of its user to be an idi0t.

That's it. There's no hope for me :<

On a more serious note...I approve of the, "close all tabs to the right" option. Somedays I find myself opening waaaayyyyy too many tabs. This gives me the option to start over, fresh and clean, and try again.

...[ ]....My philosophy is this - if your desktop gets stinky-full of useless browser pages, stop #ucking clicking on every trash link you see in this public trash bin a.k.a Internet..
My philosophy is this; it's not possible to have too many erotic art tabs open at once. At least not with a 32 bit browser.

Whoop-de-freakety-do, I can close tabs on my left now, I can close tabs on my right now, ... I'm pumped...

My philosophy is this - if your desktop gets stinky-full of useless browser pages, stop #ucking clicking on every trash link you see in this public trash bin a.k.a Internet.

The bottom line is this...

Some require lots of tabs opened up due to work, I at times had well over 100 tabs opened up (in Chrome, Firefox wasn't cutting it).

Some require lots of tabs opened up due to work, I at times had well over 100 tabs opened up (in Chrome, Firefox wasn't cutting it).
One hundred tabs, you say? I say pshaw, that's child's play....

And believe it or not, I can open up a couple of hundred in FF, on an old P-4 eMachines on XP SP-2. I have less luck with a Win 7 Pent dual core with more memory. I guess that's progress for ya!

Anyhoo, why is this news? all you have to do now, is open tabs of the same topic and relationship in another Window, then close the window.

Guest said:
Firefox also has back doors built in for the NSA to spy on you...

News flash! Firefox is open source hence it render back doors useless.

Back