Firefox 34 arrives with Yahoo as the default search engine in North America

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mozilla firefox yahoo north america ssl google search browser web browser firefox 34

Mozilla wasted little time in making the switch from Google to Yahoo as the default search engine in Firefox. Firefox 34 is now available for download and for the first time in several years, Google isn’t the go-to search provider.

Users in North America updating to Firefox 34 will be asked if they want to switch to Yahoo as their default search provider. Alternately, one can select the “later” option if they don’t want to be bothered with a change right now.

mozilla firefox yahoo north america ssl google search browser web browser firefox 34

Elsewhere, Mozilla has improved the search bar by making it easier to search within third-party sites like Amazon, Twitter or Wikipedia using Firefox’s new one click searches. It’s a clever variant on search that could no doubt save you some time if you’re searching for results from a particular site.

Also new in Firefox 34 is Mozilla’s experimental Hello chat client. Announced in October, Hello lets Firefox users conduct video and audio calls with others directly from their browser. It uses an HTML5-based technology known as WebRTC (Real-Time Communication) and best yet, it’s completely free.

Mozilla has disabled SSL 3.0 in Firefox 34, no doubt in response to Google’s discovery of a vulnerability in the design of SSL 3.0 a couple of months ago. This isn’t a major setback or anything considering SSL 3.0 is nearly 15 years old and has since been replaced but many browsers still relied on it as a failsafe when encountering a failed connection. As always you can download Firefox from our download section, just click here.

Permalink to story.

Why not duckduckgo for default search. At least they don't watch you like hawk.

Because they made a partnership with Yahoo, also you are not forced to anything you can switch it in a click or two.

You are free to use Chrome but don't forget to log it into your google account...

Adding extra step in order to use firefox. Check.

Yes because OMG I can't be bothered to two-click on a browser, darned capitalist bastards who need money to support a non-lucrative non-spying free explorer!!!

I think google chrome browser spys on you. Then signing into your google account while browsing makes them even more nosy. You should try comodo dragon browser or chromium browser , or comodo secure browser , or sr iron. Which they are all based on google chrome without the nosy features.

Firefox with the FF Classic app overlay makes FF as good as ever. Yahoo as the default search, while not the best choice, gives Google a smack upside the head it rightly deserves. If FF would only incorporate Flash into the browser, it would be the only game in town.

Google doesn't spy on you per say, but they definitely do track you. It's so they can target ads and links that apply to you and your daily life. But Google isn't the one spying on you, that would be the NSA. Where Google tracks what you do so they know what you do and don't like and you will and will not click on, the NSA is less interested in that. They don't care if you click on cat videos or links that have intel ads over amd, they care about what's on your hard drive. There have been several reported cases of the NSA phishing as popular social media sites. One example would be when some users connect to facebook they get redirected to an NSA model of facebook. Once you sign in it downloads a trojan to your computer and starts uploading all of the content to an NSA database.

If I would be worried about someone spying on me, it's not Google.

As for the Yahoo instead of Google for FireFox, it seems more eh to me. Yeah it's an extra click or so but business is business. If you don't like it, use chrome. It's as simple as that

While Google has consistently updated basic search results with new bits of information, it also has more personal options as well. Users can use traditional Google searches to check out all the different things they have purchased, along with handy...
I think google chrome browser spys on you. Then signing into your google account while browsing makes them even more nosy. You should try comodo dragon browser or chromium browser , or comodo secure browser , or sr iron. Which they are all based on google chrome without the nosy features.
Duh, ya think?

I think it doesn't matter which browser you use, one way or another you're going to be tracked anyhow. If you're concerned about being tracked, unplug from the internet. Oh wait, then they'll track you via snail mail. Oh well. :) Seasons greetings :)

I think it doesn't matter which browser you use, one way or another you're going to be tracked anyhow. If you're concerned about being tracked, unplug from the internet. Oh wait, then they'll track you via snail mail. Oh well. :) Seasons greetings :)
Perhaps the government can track you by snail mail, but that's a bit cynical even by my standards.

They can't do wholesale surveillance on everyone in the country's paper mail. Plus I expect they would have to open practically every piece, one at a time to read it.

No matter though, they have a country full of of smug, whiny, cell phone addicted, "users" to bring the game to them.

Relax, you'll always find a sympathetic ear here at Techspot. Someone who will actually sympathize with the old, "I, of my own free will, placed all my business out into the world by broadcast means, and now somebody's listening to it, boo hoo" complaint, in perpetuity!

FWIW, most sensible people wouldn't take the time to listen in on the nonsense that's posted at TS, let alone listen in or you and the missus blabbering over the airways, double checking the shopping list as you go.

We ancients had some foresight and dignity about those things. You wrote down the shopping list beforehand. Then you didn't have to run your mouth on the phone, stopping in the middle of the aisles and impeding everyone else's progress. Don't get me started about the cell phone armed drivers when trying to get home from said store. Those people, I firmly believe, should be heavily ticketed, and have the damned phone taken off them.

In fact, I think the NSA should intercept those calls made from behind the wheel, and either interrupt them with a safety reminder, or simply jamb them.

Back