Firefox 42 now available, adds Tracking Protection in Private Browsing mode

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Mozilla on Tuesday pushed Firefox 42 out on its public channel with plenty of noteworthy additions in tow. The biggest change of all, however, is the addition of a feature called Tracking Protection.

Designed to bolster Firefox’s existing Private Browsing mode, Tracking Protection is more or less an ad blocker. As Mozilla explains, most websites rely on many different third-parties to provide things like analytics, social network buttons and display advertising. Some third-parties use page elements to track browsing activity in order to build profiles about its users.

Private Browsing mode with Tracking Protection blocks some page elements that could be used to track user behavior across sites.

This means that advertisers that attempt to track users won’t get paid for impressions because their ads won’t be shown. As PCWorld explains, it’s not the end of the world for advertisers considering Firefox represents a small percentage of total browser users (fewer still use Private Browsing).

Something else the publication points out is the fact that because Google and Microsoft have advertising-based businesses, it wouldn’t be in their best interest to roll out similar features for their respective browsers.

Firefox 42 also brings an icon to tabs playing audio with the option to mute it with a single click. Firefox is playing catch-up here although the one-click mute function is a nice touch not yet seen elsewhere. There’s also an improved Control Center with site security and privacy controls as well as a revamped Login Manager sporting several improvements.

Firefox 42 is available as of writing for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

Permalink to story.

Firefox? Ugh! That is one browser I never saw eye to eye with, I'd rather use MS edge, I tried it for a bit and it's not too bad but Chrome is still the gold standard to me.

Firefox? Ugh! That is one browser I never saw eye to eye with, I'd rather use MS edge, I tried it for a bit and it's not too bad but Chrome is still the gold standard to me.
even chrome has been getting really annoying with crashes, random hangs and slow performance with multiple tabs (5-10). and if I let it run in the background I sometimes get huge HDD disk writes that last quite a while (and I'm using an SSD).

even chrome has been getting really annoying with crashes, random hangs and slow performance with multiple tabs (5-10). and if I let it run in the background I sometimes get huge HDD disk writes that last quite a while (and I'm using an SSD).
Yeah it's not perfect by any means but it's the one I like most. Just a personal thing. FF isn't bad as far as browsers go, it's popular, but I just never came to terms with it. That said I found it better than IE and Opera which I'll never touch again.

what? I use only FF from 2007 and I wouldn't switch to another browser in a million years. a few months back I tried to give Chrome a chance, it only lasted 2 days, it has nothing better compared to FF, maybe a little speed, not by much. excuse my english, please.

I like Firefox way better when it comes to the UI but I'm forced to use Chrome now as my main browser because Flash causes Firefox to hang for some reason and in Chrome it doesn't. Of course in Windows 8 Firefox worked perfect with Flash but in Windows 10 for me it doesn't.

what? I use only FF from 2007 and I wouldn't switch to another browser in a million years. a few months back I tried to give Chrome a chance, it only lasted 2 days, it has nothing better compared to FF, maybe a little speed, not by much. excuse my english, please.
As I implied earlier, it's just personal taste. You like it and that's great.

Firefox? I used to swear by it & laugh about GC. Now I use GC most of the time since I'm seldom able to login into certain websites in FF. I'm trying out Cyberfox now & its ok. No browser is perfect thou :)

Firefox will remain a second-rate browser until it does what Chrome and IE8 have already done: incorporate Flash rather than require it as an add-on. Flash is an aberration that must be corrected and maintained by the browser rather than by the user. Until FF check into the 21st Century re: Flash, it will remain a fairly limited browser.

Back