Firefox apostrophe (') find dialogue dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Within Firefox I was trying to type something with an apostrophe (') in it, and the find bar popped up. So I couldn't type anything with my favorite contraction-making, possessive-assigning piece of punctuation. By accident, I found that typing an apostrophe (') into the find box enabled me to type an apostrophe elsewhere. I also found this to be true of other letters.

I'm happy to find a quick fix; however, I'd rather like to know if there is a feature I can just disable without deleting files or rewriting script. Maybe there's a patch of which I'm unaware.

Any suggestions?

You can try all kinds of things (google firefox apostrophe find disable for example). None worked for me. Luckily I am an Opera user :)

Thanks anyway. I hadn't found anything in the options. Oddly enough, it seems not to be a problem today. I don't understand.

Give this a try.

In the address bar type about:config

Navigate to accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar This entry should be set to a default value of 1. If it`s set to anything else right click on the entry and select reset. This should set the value to 1.

Regards Howard :)

Well, it was assigned to 0. Now it is assigned to 1.

I only know that it did not re-create the problem, as it seemed to subside on its own perhaps due to my recent string of extension installation. Just the same, I'm much more at ease thinking--even thinking wrongly, which I don't believe to be the case--that the problem won't resurface. Thanks.

The apostrophe only brings up the find box when the focus is on an html page. If you are in a text box or typing it doesnt come up at all.

Cheers

It can come up even in a text box if the accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar entry is set to the wrong value.

There`s plenty of info about this HERE. That`s where I found the possible fix, it`s on the last page of the thread.

Regards Howard :)

The error still hasn't resurfaced. This I like. As for the find box coming up, it did come up when I was in a text box. I first noticed it while typing an email using gmail just after I updated to a newer version of Firfox. After either installing a plugin or changing that value to 1 (or a combination thereof), things are running smoothly.

(There were five extensions: FoxyTunes, Tab Mix Plus, Fasterfox, Gmail Manager, AutoBrowse.)

I had this problem a few months ago, and fixed it with the setting in about:config. Then today it just resurfaced again. I didn't add any extensions or anything. I was just typing in a text box, and it suddenly started happening again. I'm guessing some sort of key combination set it, but I have no idea.

Oh, it happened randomly again. In 2.0. So I don’t know. I had to reset the accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar value back to 1 again. Maybe it is some sort of key combination. Or my computer might just be wiggy.

It occurred immediately after I closed a page using Adobe Acrobat, and I might have clicked around when I should have been waiting for it to Exit. (I thought it was going to lock up on me since I've had a lot of buggy things happening to me as of late.) Just in case that makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back