Firefox closes after a few seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have a virus or something that won't let me use Firefox, when I open firefox it will close itself in several seconds, so I'm being forced to use IE.
I have no idea whats causeing this and since I know little about computers I came here is search of help.

If you suspect a virus/spyware do the following.

Go and read the Trojan Pakes and other nasties preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of CupGraber only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

triiifashions said:
firefox is crap too many lights and buzzers i say uninstall it and forget it

That`s utter nonsense. Firefox is not crap. Sure it does have it`s problems, what software doesn`t. However, to make a sweeping statement like that is neither accurate nor helpful.

What would you suggest as an alternative to Firefox?

I ran the antivirus/spywear ect.. stuff, it found several but my problem was still there, So I uninstalled/reinstalled firefox several times but its still there.

You are running a completely unpatched version of Windows. After completing the instructions below, you should run Windows updates and install at least service pack1 and preferably service pack2.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm

O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/menusearch.jhtml?p=ZJxdm070YYUS

O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM

O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM

O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com -
{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)

Fix all 016-DPF entries.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Reboot your system.

Post fresh a HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

This thread is for the use of CupGraber only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back