Firefox does not install or desinstall extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungchen

I have a problem with my Firefox 2.0.0.6

I have a bout 20 extensions that I have now used for a very long time, strangely, suddenly Firefox is unable to update some of those extensions!

These extensions are highlighted in green as usual and Firefox tells me that the updates will be installed when its restarted... But the extensions remain highlighted in green (or red) even when Firefox is restarted and never get updated !!

Restarting the PC does not help either!

The same problem subsists for desinstalling extensions by the way...

Does anyone experience the same problem? I'm running on Windows Xp and never had such a problem with Firefox until now...

Please help

Hi Jungchen, that is a rare problem. Anyway i really don't have a solution to fix that but being an additional software i would think that it would be better to unistall it and installing again.
I am looking up some tools that can help remove it by force from the registry.

http://www.wintools.net/wintoolspro.zip

That tool has where it has such, under the SCAN REG + UNINSTALL MENU:

{Clean Uninstaller
Used for both correctly removing software and for monitoring changes made to the hard drive, MS Windows registry and system files during program installations.}

That will remove it from ther registry.

Wish u luck
Robin

Some of those extension were installed before 2.0.0.6... perhaps as early as 2.0.0.1... There are a number of old extensions that require reinstallation updates with 2.0.0.6 and three that I know of which will not install at all... It has to do with the security issues for which Firefox and Mozilla were under attach about 11 months ago... and again in March and May. There used to be documentation on the Firefox site about these... I assume they remain on the Mozilla web site.

Thanks for your tips!

By the way, the extensions are CustomizeGoogle, Download Statusbar, Google Notebook, Imageshack Toolbar, PDF Download, Torrent-Search Toolbar

Better Gmail won't uninstall, i didn't try to install or desintall other extensions as I don't want to create more problems...

The mentionned extensions work but do not update as said...

Thanks for any further help...

Start Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode - Start/Programs/Firefox (Safe Mode).

That will give the option to uninstall all extensions permanently.

You can then install the latest extensions.You don`t need ALL those extensions :)

hey this simple starting in safe mode has solved my problem, the extensions are not in green anymore...

But trust me, I need those extensions ;-P

Thanks a lot everyone!

Problem solved...

Easy enough to go back to an earlier version... of to check the Firefox list as revised extensions are added back in every day. When version 3.0 comes out, which will be before the end of September and possibily any day, you will know that all are current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back