TechSpot

Firefox Extensions

By Alex.A
Oct 14, 2007
  1. I am using Mozilla Firefox and I saw that there are many extensions and add-ons so I was wondering which ones are the best for security, faster surfing or other purposes. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.

2. BlameCanada

BlameCanada TS Rookie Posts: 320

The fewer the better ! They can cause trouble ! See Jobeard`s, extension warning

If you have to have extensions,then Adblock Plus - Mouse Gestures- Fasterfox

3. TheJediSlayer

TheJediSlayer TS Rookie Posts: 164

WOT, is a great Firefox extension that will protect you against entering sites that have been rated bad: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic89189.html

I'd recommend you use it!

Also, BlameCanada's Adblock Plus extension suggestion is good too. I use it and it helps. You might also consider using the No Script extension for Firefox.

4. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Banned Posts: 428

Check out No Script

5. Alex.A

Alex.A TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

Thanks, i installed NoScript. Now, do I have to configure some settings or the program works fine without anything changed?

6. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Banned Posts: 428

The only thing I changed was under the Notifications tab was I disabled/unchecked the "Show message about blocked script" so it does not pop up.

7. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

if you install adblock plus then install Filterset.G Updater as well, it works with adblock plus and updates it with a new list of things to block every so often

i also have IE Tab which is handy if you don't feel like opening ie to view a page and one called Track Me Not which generates random searches so that websites can't target you with ads from things that you have searched for - adblock plus blocks the ads but it's good for security anyway ;)
    you can set how often it does a search, i have it set to every hour but the setting ranges from 10 per minute to 1 every hour

8. Alex.A

Alex.A TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

Ok guys, thanks for helping me. Now I feel safer :p

9. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Thanks Alex. I'm trying it and will post back on the results. I've kept my extensions to a minimum and done well so far.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.