Firefox is Having Trouble Loading TechSpot Since Last Update

captaincranky

OK, my Firefox is on the latest version, 50.1, and "NoScript" is also up to date. It updated a couple of days past.

Now, FF is all but refusing to load the TS page(s), flashing an intermittent drop down warning bar, "this website is slowing your browser, what do you want to do". There's also a check box for "quit" or "wait". The issue appears to be limited to TS, at least of the types of pages I've loaded thus far with it.

The drop down warning isn't stable to the point you could actually check a box. It's just intermittent flashing.

The rest of the browsed sites seem to be working much better, albeit with a slight but noticeable slow down.

This machine is granted, far from a powerhouse. Its specs: Win 7 32 bit, 2GB of DDR-2 800Mhz RAM, G41 board, a Pentium Dual Core E-6300 (No, not the original Core 2 Duo E-6300).

I haven't tried loading the site with another machine.

The question, have you done anything to the site very recently which might cause this? Has anyone else noticed an issue?

I should have, I expect, closed the browser, gave it the big CCleaner treatment, and then rebooted before I posted this. But what the heck, "fools rush in", or so they say.

Although FWIW, I've never actually experienced a reboot doing much of anything running Win 7. Now XP, is a whole 'nuther story.

UPDATE, (pardon the pun): I rebooted, and installed the latest version of the Flash Player. Techspot loaded instantly as the only tab open. The Flash update seems to have put out the little red box in the address bar..

I should also mention the issue I am, (or was?) having, was on resume from standby. From a cold launch, Techspot loaded immediately. ...As always , I remain yours but still :confused:, captaincranky

Last edited:
It would seem so. I delayed posting back until the browser was up and running for a couple days, with a bunch of tabs open, to duplicate the conditions in which the problems occurred. All is as good as it's been, so we're good.

Sorry for bothering you with these, "process of elimination fishing expeditions", but a lot of things changed within a couple of days.

It does seem the Flash update did the trick.

As always, thanks, and thanks again. (y)

Btw: FF 50.0.2 is AOK
I've never noticed the little beige drop down box before, ("This site is slowing down you're browser"), until this new version.

Techspot does require a bit more resources to load than some sites, but certainly not as much as others. Newegg can be tough at times.

I'm not wishing to turn this into a help thread, but I could use an answer to one easy question. This browser seems to "hit the wall", at or near 1.1GB of memory used in a 2GBG equipped 32 bit Win 7system. If I spring for a 2 x2GB set of memory sticks, will that help?

I tried 4GB in a 32 bit XP system one time, and Nero started returning "out of memory" errors. When I yanked 2GB out, it returned to working normally..:confused: As the say, "once bitten, twice shy", hence the only 2GB I'm running in this turd.

I've never noticed the little beige drop down box before, ("This site is slowing down you're browser"), until this new version.
??; don't see such - where is it?
Techspot does require a bit more resources to load than some sites, but certainly not as much as others. Newegg can be tough at times.

I'm not wishing to turn this into a help thread, but I could use an answer to one easy question. This browser seems to "hit the wall", at or near 1.1GB of memory used in a 2GBG equipped 32 bit Win 7system. If I spring for a 2 x2GB set of memory sticks, will that help?
use Taskmgr->show all user processes; then Performance Tab & click Resource monitor.
now watch HD and Network graphs as memory usage climbs. Expecting this is pure paging activity

OK, I resolved this issue, and no, it wasn't Techspot's fault, of that I am absolutely certain.

Somewhere along the update process, "hybrid sleep mode", somehow became enabled. Now M$ really doesn't have what I would define as a "hybrid sleep mode". They just summarily call "hibernation", "hybrid sleep" and are done with it.

Basically, "hybrid sleep", disables S-3 Suspend to RAM standby, despite the BIOS in my machine being set for it. If I were to be asked, "what do you want 'hybrid sleep' to do for you", I'd expect the machine to both S-3 StR...AND....write program contents to the drive, in case of power failure. But nooooo, that's not what you get.

Anyway, somewhere about version 50.0, Firefox added the little drop down bar which will tell you if a particular website is slowing down your browser while loading.

Since the machine was loading the browser from the drive, every time it hit another web page, it launched FF's warning bar. And since you couldn't change the page until the browser had fully reloaded, the last page you were on, got all the blame for the slowdown....:eek::D

??; don't see such - where is it?

use Taskmgr->show all user processes; then Performance Tab & click Resource monitor.
now watch HD and Network graphs as memory usage climbs. Expecting this is pure paging activity
@jobeard You don't have to go through all that to see what's going on. All that needs to happen, is the Task Manager window to be open on resume (from "hybrid sleep"), you can see the memory usage climb, directly on task manager's "process" tab.

So, I suppose you could call the behaviour "paging", but it isn't paging is the sense you've run out of RAM, and the browser is caching information to the drive.

I realize that posting solutions to "site feedback" might be a bit unorthodox, but it also gives me a chance to wish everybody a "Happy New Year"....:)(y)

@captaincranky systems 'page', especially MS, without running out of ram and MS forces this early due to excessive reserved memory - - but let's take that subject in another thread.

Back