Firefox Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I'm in the right forum here! I started using Firefox a few weeks ago and I LOVE it! So much faster than IE, which I had some issues with besides the slowness... I have no complaints about my Firefox, but I do have a question that might or might not be solvable. I go to several MSN message boards. Firefox will let me reply/post to those messages but only using plain text. I cannot add icons, or add pictures/siggies, cannot copy anything into the message window. The "buttons" that allow me to do that stuff aren't there. Is there a way to make Firefox allow me to post the way IE does? (I use IE at work & it allows my posts to "look" the way I want them to.) I looked under Firefox Help on my toolbar, but it really didn't specify this subject. Does anyone know a way to fix this? If not, I can live with it as-is, but it sure would be nice...

What your describing, sounds like javascript is not enabled in Firefox.

Go to Tools/Options/Content and make sure the Java and javascript boxes are checked.

Go HERE and download the Java plugin for your Firefox browser.

You may also need to go to the Macromedia site and download and install the flash player plugin as well. Get it HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Okay, I've downloaded a flash player, and my java and javascript boxes are both checked. Still no good. Any other ideas? Like I said, I can live with it as it is now, but it would just be more fun.... Thanks for the advice - you guys (?) are great!

Can you give us a link to one of the sites you`re having problems with?

If the sites use ActiveX controls, that may be the problem, as Firefox doesn`t allow ActiveX for security reasons.

Unfortunately, I don`t have an MSN account, nor do I intend getting one.

If the sites in question do use ActiveX, then they won`t display properly.

See HERE for more info and a possible solution. Read the instructions carefully.

I must warn you, that I don`t personally recommend installing the ActiveX plugin. One of the main reasons to use Firefox is because it doesn`t support ActiveX controls.

It may be ok, just for test purposes and to see if it is indeed the problem you are having.

I`d recommend that you uninstall the ActiveX plugin, after you`ve tested it.

on msn sites you may need to use a microsoft product
I resell and this can be frustrating
firefox can be stuburn and not load plugin correctly
if error accurs reboot machine after install
if you have agood firwall in place actX can be set just for this site
it may be possible to disable after leaving site
i do that with java ,java script and with the cookies manager

I use the Firefox extension, IE Tab, to view pages that need IE. It solves most of the compatibility issues. Just click extensions in the tools menu, then click get more extensions. When the page opens, just search for IE Tab and follow the instalation instructions.

Evan, thanks for the tip, but no good. After I installed IE Tab it wouldn't let me do even what I was doing before. Now, my question is, how do I uninstall it? It's in my tools, but it doesn't give me the option to uninstall. Went to my add/remove program but couldn't find it there. Thanks!

Howard, I read what was in the link you sent, about the activeX plugin. I do want to try it but I'll have to wait till Saturday when (hopefully) I'll have more free time to really work on this. Thanks, and I'll let you know what happens!

That is odd, I use it often for MScentric pages. Anyway , to uninstall an extension, click on tools, extensions. The select the extension you want remove and click uninstall.

If all else fails, there is another extension called IE View. With IE View, you can tell Firefox to open specific URLs in IE. Not the best thing since sliced bread, but it does save a few clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back