Firefox "Unable to connect"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey
Ever since we installed AVG AntiVirus Free Edition and Microsoft AntiSpyware we have been having trouble with both Mozilla Firefox and Outlook Express. Firefox simply won't connect to any websites and says:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.

Outlook Express is also unable to receive our email, it says:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop3.kol.co.nz', Server: 'pop3.kol.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Any help with these problems would be appreciated.

Cheers
Stu

Just to clarify, Internet Explorer connects fine. Also, both AVG and Microsoft AntiSpyware can not update, saying they can not connect to the internet.

mighty_valley said:
Ever since we installed AVG AntiVirus Free Edition and Microsoft AntiSpyware
Did either of those remove any viruses/ spyware ? If so they could have damaged the Winsock LSP chain.
The fix is HERE Check any settings in MS Antispyware that might be causing the problem.

If that fails try reinstalling TCP/IP -

Click Start
Run
Then type in Command
In the screen which appears, type in netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Are there settings in the Anti-virus program that blocks access to certain programs? Avast does, I had that problem just had to allow certain programs to access the internet. I would try that if that doesn't work try another free Anti-Virus program.. I don't think it's Microsoft Anti-Syware. You should get the new Windows Defender, anti-spyware program....

go to firefox option and check your settings, switch off you firewall briefly as it could also be that

I am having the same problem as the original poster & i too installed AVG anti virus...i have sence removed it but firefox still will not connect...
The fix is HERE Check any settings in MS Antispyware that might be causing the problem.
i tried that link to the tool & it said i had no problems & it didn't fix it after restart

If that fails try reinstalling TCP/IP -

Click Start
Run
Then type in Command
In the screen which appears, type in netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
I tried this too but after i enter that and press enter it won't execute it just moves down a line

I NEED HELP, anyone have any ideas
*i mean internet explorer works fine but no other browser will work...how or what would make that happen?
i hate having yo use IE!!!

A note here for those of you who are reporting a failure to connect in Firefox. I was using v2.0.0.9 over the weekend. I shut FF down, then relaunched> 5 more tabs tried to connect, all but one got the FF "can't find server" message. I am working with someone else who had the same experience, only difference was that she didn't use tabs, but this happened on both our homepages.

Scans were clean, no malware (I ran HijackThis, log was clean) after scanning with all my security programs, no Error in Event Viewer.

I have reported this as a possible bug in the Mozilla FF Forum. The URLs trying to load weren't in correct context. I blocked, restricted, deleted, disc clean-up, error check-neither one of us could stop the behavior. I finally uninstalled FF, reinstalled- saved setup to desktop, got "File Corrupt" x2 trying to run.

I finally ran from the download and got it back up. I seriously think this is a bug in the v2.0.0.9.

When multiple applications start to fail, the network becomes suspect.

try these tests to ensure you have traffic flow to your ISP gateway and URL translation functionality through your DNS.

If everything is going ok here, then inspect your Application configuration and/or your firewall settings.

I'm having the same problem as Bobbye.

I know my internet connection isn't to blame nor anything else because just today I was going on the net minding my own business. I then updated Firefox because of a new update, after installing it, I just couldn't connect to anything with Firefox. However, my internet explorer and every other application that uses internet still work perfectly.

So I have come to the conclusion that it might be a problem with Firefox and not my computer.

I'm having the same problem as Bobbye.

If you check the date, you will note that I had Firefox v2.0.0.9 at that time. There were several updates after, ending with v2.0.0.14 until the new version v3 came out recently. You should update to the newest version- it will overwrite the older version and see if that problem has been handled- you mention you updated but to which version?.

I have not had an recurrence of that problem since subsequent updates were issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back