Firewall and command prompt errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadgt

i cant open my firewall through control panel > secuirty center it says "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associate service is not running. Do you want to start the windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service?" when i click yes it says cannot start it and when i open my command prompt it says "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction CS:0e12 IP:0038 OP:ff ff ff ff 00 Choose 'close' to terminate the application."
Please help and formatting is the last thing i would do me and my brothers share this computer.

please help!!! can anyone help me please?

Try starting the service from the services screen in Computer Management?

And you shouldn't be using the primitive Windows firewall. Try the free Sunbelt Kerio for example.

how do i get to computer management? the firewall i mostly use is from my router but the windows firewall is still my problem.

to get to computer management

Start button / settings / control panel. Click administrative tools. Click services. Then all the available services show. Windows firewall is towards the bottom, and would normally be automatic start.

As nodsu says, it is not much use and better replaced with a freeware item.

The fact that this service is apparently not running is suspicious. If this problem is recent, I would tend to either use system restore to before you added your router, and install it properly this time, from the CD that came with the router....

Actually, it's much easier to just right-click My Computer and select "Manage", but I suppose we all have our habits :)

quite right

there's a good illustration of how much rubbish is in Windows, when there are several ways of doing anything - is that good or bad?

To my mind it simply says Windows was invented by a committee, designed by a township, programmed by a city-full, and tested by the whole world.

should i disable it to start up? thats what i jsut did and so does it use that firewall anymore or is it now only using my router's firewall?

If you disable the firewall service, then that's it - the firewall is completely disabled.

now im trying to be able to host a game in warcraft 3, i forwarded the ports 6112-6119 and i am still not able to host. cna anyone help me with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back