Firewall: "Anti-Hacker" from Kaspersky Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Legge

This is the five-star review of the product that appears in Computer Shopper (UK) - issue 185

"Personal firewall software is becoming increasingly necessary for home users, particularly those with always-on Internet connections. Kaspersky's Anti-Hacker stands above the competition because of its ease of use and power. The interface is simple to understand and the software itself is robust; one of only two products to successfully defend against one of our attack tests. Anti-Hacker is calm in the face of possible threats, quietly responding in the background rather than bombarding the user with hysterical warnings." -

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk

Any comments?

Eric
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

haven't used it, but I like that it doesn't "bombard the user" with warnings, unlike ZA.

Hey, SNGX1275...you can turn that stuff off, you know. Kaspersky is well respected in the computer security arena. I may take a look at his offering.

Thats nice, but the firewall in my router works just as well :p

Most routers are about the same price with or without FW, if not standard...

After downloading and using that app, apparently not ;)

Thats why I have Ad-aware 6.0, and Norton. I scan with adware every week or so. I scan for viruses using Norton every month or so.

I, personally am a big fan of Norton. I also like being in control and I set port access from day 1, so it doesn't bother me. However, you need to know what you're doing and what ports you are setting. If you don't know, just put it on high security and let it ask you what to do when it comes up.

I also like Norton because you can download updates to software. I don't know if that program can do it but it would be great, if not, then looks like that software becomes obsolete in a while.

I especially like Norton Firewall because you can block all traffic on a potential attack or whenever you want. It blocks everything from going out, and everything from going in. Just in case for drastic security measures.

I'll check out kaspersky.

The new version (4.0) of ZoneAlarm is just wicked. It comes with fully configurable web filtering, so you can control just about anything you access whilst online.

ZoneAlarm can block specific websites that are oriented towards hacking, or violence, or religion, or pay sites, or gambling sites, or gay sites, or even adult sites. You can password protect your settings and so stop your kids browsing/downloading from those sites if you so choose. Completely configurable and totally secure.

Something I have noticed is that you should always have Windows XP built-in firewall active at all times (if you use winxp), even with another firewall installed. If you do this then you'll pass all the 'Shields-Up' tests no problem. Throw in a router with a NAT firewall and no one can ever reach you to hack your computer.

Originally posted by Nic
The new version (4.0) of ZoneAlarm is just wicked. It comes with fully configurable web filtering, so you can control just about anything you access whilst online.

ZoneAlarm can block specific websites that are oriented towards hacking, or violence, or religion, or pay sites, or gambling sites, or gay sites, or even adult sites. You can password protect your settings and so stop your kids browsing/downloading from those sites if you so choose. Completely configurable and totally secure.

Something I have noticed is that you should always have Windows XP built-in firewall active at all times (if you use winxp), even with another firewall installed. If you do this then you'll pass all the 'Shields-Up' tests no problem. Throw in a router with a NAT firewall and no one can ever reach you to hack your computer.

Sounds like Net Nanny :dead: I've already had to dodge around that...

I have a router, with a NAT firewall, but I leave my WinXP firewall off, as I cannot host WC3/UT games with it on :blackeye:

Nic, I agree with you, I've got Zone Alarm Pro 4.0 also, and it works great. The only thing I can add is that I don't have the XP firewall enabled, and I passed the Shields Up and Sygate tests without any problem. Both of them showed all ports blocked and stealthed. The only problem I've ever had was with UPnP not being blocked, but I don't have any problem with it now, on this version.
Edit; Another thing, if I have XP's firewall on, with ZAP, it cuts my loading speed way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back