Firewall, automatic updates, virus protection turned off for about 0.2 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon013

I had a problem. I just got myself a new Computer, OS is windows XP. Processor is Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz

I realized that after reinstalling my stuff (like firefox, gigaget, AVG, etc) and have transfered all my stuff from external hard disk to my current hard disk, I bound to see arrow on my right hand corner of my monitor (the place where AVG appear) moving. (I am not sure if before the installation it is happening, it really takes a good eye to notice, it just happen too fast).

It seems to move for an icon to appear and a pop sound can be heard (when your download is complete you hear the sound), and i cant see the icon clearly, as it returns to normal too fast, around 0.2seconds.

I checked my Windows security center one day and found that when the pop sound is heard and as well as the mysterious icon appearing, my Windows firewall, automatic updates as well as virus protection all turned off for about 0.2seconds. Its fast, and the time it happens is randomly. After the 0.2 seconds, all of them turn on again.

I later changed my Windows security alert to (ALWAYS HIDE) and i will not be able to hear the pop sound, however, the problem still exists. All of them will be turn off for 0.2 seconds when i tried an experiment like staring at my monitor for minutes.

Sometimes it appear 30 seconds after the 1st and some minutes.

I need desperate help, is there something going on in my new PC?

your AVG is just updating, or checking for updates (every now and then)

To prove this, right click on your system tray icon, AVG and exit it (this is to test) then watch your screen again. Nothing should happen!

Either restart to get AVG back, or just open AVG program again.

It is still happening. I check the windows security Center, Windows firewall, automatic updates and my Virus protection still turned off and then on back.

I have exited AVG at the bottom right hand corner (the system tray). However, My virus protection is still on, is it that I have not totally exit it?

I am really worrying something bad is happening in my computer..

Thanks for the help kimsland...Anyone has any idea on whats going on?

However, My virus protection is still on, is it that I have not totally exit it?

By right clicking the AVG (square colored icon - next to your clock) and then selecting "Quit AVG.." your Virus protection will be off
But
If you look in Ctrl+Alt+Del (Task Manager basically) you will notice that still some AVG components do not exit (the only downfall to AVG I feel) and therefore your Windows Security Center, will still say all's ok (strangely)
But
It will not update anyway
So therefore you should not see any flashes (0.2secs) happening

If you like you can also kill any AVG processes in Task Manager too (without hurting anything)

Ok, but in windows security Center, Windows firewall, automatic updates and my Virus protection still turned off and then on back.

So i think its not the AVG fault..i think its something got to do with other things, but I have no idea what it could be....

Ok AVG is out !

Also stop saying on back, it's back on. (just in case I see it again)

Well there are literally tens (was going to say hundreds) of programs trying to update in the background.

Here's an option. Download and run Startup Control Panel and untick everything! Then check if it happens again

Note: running Startup Control Panel again, you can re-enable what you want

The only main one it doesn't stop is Windows updates, found in: Start-->Run-->Services.msc

I have done what u told me, and I have disabled Windows update by stopping the Automatic Updates found after typing services.msc at the run search engine.

But still, the problem is still there..

Ok well instead of me guessing all day, it may be better I try to understand the problem a bit more.
Can you provide a screen dump (by pressing print screen on your keyboard and pasting to Paint, and then attaching the pic) of what's actually happening.

Or explain again in real easy terms, of what is happening
ie
This icon(s) is on my desktop
This happens...

Okay, as the problem happens too fast, I could not printscreen at the right time. I will explain in easy terms.

Firstly, I go into Windows Security Center (by going into Control Panel -> Security Center). There, I see that my Firewall, Automatic Updates and my Virus Protection are all ON. That is natural, as that is what it should be. My firewall uses the default Windows Firewall, and my Virus Protection uses AVG.

In split second, all 3 of them will be set to OFF, and immediately (after about 0.1 to 0.2 second) they will be back on once again. This happens randomly, as there is no fix timing on when is going to happen.

It happens almost regularly, about once to twice per minute. I knew it because I stare at my monitor for quite sometime to test.

This is roughly what happens....

This is so strange, and possibly very dangerous (hence why you are posting)
I have never seen this issue before. Even if I manually turn everything off and then back on, it will take a minute or two!

I cannot think what may be causing this, especially if it says off.

Actually just FYI I actually turn my Security Centre off in services (Start-Run-Services.msc) as I do not wish to be reported if they fail (this is because, when I play local games (on my PC) I usually turn off the modem, and exit the AntiVirus)

I actually do not believe all your security is quickly turning off then on.
I wonder if you would also like to turn off this service (normally not recommended)

Thanks for the help anyway

Initially I thought its my Internet that is causing it, as my internet is going slower, ( I guess its the modem problem), but thinking through, without internet, firewall and anti virus should be on too..

Never mind, thanks a lot for the help.

Anyone know how to solve my problem? Still desperate..

ok because you replied back, I have another good idea.

Please run sfc /scannow

It takes about an hour, and will require your Windows CD, and I did mine about 2 days ago, and all is fine (ie it's safe to use)

I would check event viewer as well for frequent warnings or errors.

If I had to venture a guess, I would double check that you haven't missed any updates from microsoft. you can check through www.update.microsoft.com using internet explorer

My computer is still updating these few days..I will constantly update them.

I wanted to ask something regarding this "Please run sfc /scannonw
It takes about an hour, and will require your Windows CD, and I did mine about 2 days ago, and all is fine (ie it's safe to use)".

Do i need to close other programs before doing this?

And is it the case whereby i put in the windows CD and then run sfc /scannonw?

Guys, thanks for the help.

Good question

I turned off my modem
And no, just run without CD (and then put it in, Only if required

I'd say do it

But the event log was good too.

I typed sfc /scannonw under the RUN search engine.

All i see is something like a console pop up and close...Is it that something bad is happening?

I have to step out for awhile, be back in about 4Hrs

I'd like to know the result if possible,
and also if it's still the same issue, can you then check event viewer in Control Panel --> Administrative Tools
You will be looking for anything that happened around the same time.

You know I was thinking, I've never stopped and stared at my Security settings, who knows you may have stumbled upon something real big (but probably not)

It is still happening. However, when I opened my Administrative Tools and also bring out the Windows Security Center, it dun seem to happen. I waited 3 minutes, and nothing happen.

Now I am confused on what is happening..Now it seems to take a longer time to happen

After staring for about 3 minutes, I close them, and i continue doing my stuff, and I enable Windows Security Alert to "ALWAYS SHOW" so that when that problem occurs I can hear the pop sound. And not long I hear the pop sound.

The problem however still exists lol...I wonder what is going on...

I have done a lot of reading on this.
And found that it IS possible for Windows Security alerts to give false readings when 3rd party Antivirus or personal firewalls are installed.

One extract from Norton (Not AVG I know)

The Windows Security Center monitors and then reports on the status of security programs installed on your computer. Norton security products contain tamper protection features that prevent other programs, including Windows, from determining their status.

This happens because the Windows Security Center sees that a Norton security program is there, but Windows cannot monitor the Norton program's status, it reports that your computer might be at risk. (In the Windows Security Center, the status for Virus Protection appears red and displays "CHECK STATUS.")

Others are also complaining about this (not needed) service, and have given three alternatives.
1. Disable Security Centre

2. Disable warnings, but keep Security Centre on
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11213428~mode=flat

3. Remove all 3rd Party Antivirus and firewalls. And then re-install NEW Antivirus
AVG Free Antivirus

Best option Disable Security Centre in Services

Unless someone else can provide more info, that is it for me on this subject.

You actually tried to research and help me

Thanks a lot.

Anyone know how to help me? I am still figuring out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back