Firewall or no access

Status
Not open for further replies.

stindle

On my network 74+ machines I have 6 of these machines I can not do a remote invintory on. I am using Network Inventory Lite.

What it tells me when I go to connect to one of these 6 michines is that I have no access rights or there is a firewall turned on. On the access rights I am connecting to the machines as domain admin and all personal fire walls (XP pro) I think the firewall is not a problem due to a couple of the machines being 2000 and have no firewalls.

So it must be a networking problem? Tho I can conect with Goverlan and take full control of the machines as well as look at the specs on the machine?

I am about to rub the rest of my hair off my head on this one. :)

Any ideas?

If there is no firewall, maybe some essential services have been disabled that Network Inventory relies on? Something like RPC or Remote Registry or File and Printer Sharing?

Are the machines actually in the domain? Maybe try removing and re-adding them?

All the personal firewalls are off, all the machines are in the domain. I even went thru each machine step by step on the services to make sure they matched. I know it has to be something, I guess I will keep looking.

I even ran the software on the machine that it could not remote inventory and it worked ok.

Compare a working PC's settings against a PC you are having problems with. Also, do as Nodsu suggests and check that RPC is enabled, both through services.msc (type that in a run command) and through System properties - Remote.

Perhaps you should also check through Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Groups - Administrators - Make sure Domain Admins are part of the local admin group. They are by default, however I have seen Domain Admins group missing from local admin group from time to time.

Does the program you run to remote other PC's require a client install?

mikescorpio81 said:
Compare a working PC's settings against a PC you are having problems with. Also, do as Nodsu suggests and check that RPC is enabled, both through services.msc (type that in a run command) and through System properties - Remote.

Perhaps you should also check through Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Groups - Administrators - Make sure Domain Admins are part of the local admin group. They are by default, however I have seen Domain Admins group missing from local admin group from time to time.

Does the program you run to remote other PC's require a client install?

Did the compair and checked settings before I ever posted here. Domain admin is on all the computers as well as local admin. I have went point to point with 2 machines one worked, one didn't and looked at services and netcard settings , users, and they are both the same. I can't find anything that is setup diff then the other.

I have ruled out fire wall due to some of them being 2000 and somw xp other then that who knows.

I also reset the one account that didn't not work, removed it from the domain and then rejoined the domain. No joy with that samething again.

Thanks tho

real puzzler here! Get a firewall with logging, install on ONE of the failing
clients and again on the system running the Inventory program.

delete ALL rules and then add just one
allow tcp/udp, in/out, any src, any dest, any port, LOGGING

try your program and investigate the log for connections or errors.

Might also try this to monitor the ports being created, used, and closed.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

Yeah I may try the firewall thing, I downloaded the app I will for sure try that. This has been a real brain buster.

I had planed on working on it this weekend but on Friday my Dog who is more like one of our kids was killed so its been really bad weekend at our house.

Anyhow thank you for the link wiill try that today or tomorrow and see how she go's..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back