FIREWALL OR SERVER ON P II 200~ 256 ram 11 gig hard win 2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tribal-Phoenix

Hey Guyz what would you suggest me to do with P II 200~ 256 ram 11 gig hard win 2k pc can i make it a firewall for my workstation or it would be better to set up an apache server ? p.s im gunna run appache anyway on this old box or on workstation, and if i make it a firewall would it add much security to my D-Link 624 router with firewall and Tiny personal firewall 6.5 pro on my workstation.

No point in adding another dedicated firewall. Replacing Windows with Linux or BSD will give you a nice webserver that can take on moderate amounts of traffic provided you don't do much active content.

Interesting point, how about running apache 2.0.55 on Win 2k Pro with all the updates ? since i havent found a good linux distribution that doesnt take urp much space is runs fast.

Any Linux distribution will take less space and use less CPU/RAM than Win2k. That is if you actually pick what to install and don't choose the "typical desktop" that is usally the default.

Sure, you can run Apache on Windows but you will be wasting resources on the OS itself.

hmm well i tried DSL (damn small linux and i can honestly say i dont like it, knoppix really slow and woudlnt recognize my network card, tried some other crap , havent tried bsd or suse thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back