Firewalling software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Ok chappies, its not often that I ask a question to please will you all contribute all and anything that you can. :) :)

I have discovered a bug in Zonealarm 3 with regard to Windows 2000 Adv Server and internet connection sharing. I have not had time to investigate whether the bug also exists with network address translation as well, since I can't be bothered to configure my server with DNS and DHCP.... I have a limited number of hosts (certainly far less than the number that the class C network which ICS provides...) so I think that my own DNS and DHCP services are overkill....

I want to know of any alternative firewalling software that you might have had experience with, and what you thought was the best, other than Zone Alarm. Anything you can contribute is great.

If someone tells me something interesting I shall of course repay in kind ;)

Poertner_1274 reccomended to me a combination of ISS BlackICE and Norton Personal Firewall, included in NIS (Norton Internet Security). BlackICE may be a bit annoying when it comes to the application control sometimes; but it's very effective. This combination has worked flawlessly for me. But I'm not sharing internet connections...

Black Ice Defender

Its been a while since I've used a software firewall, but black ice worked really good for me.:grinthumb

Yes I truely like BlackIce and Norton Internet Security. As far as the application protection goes, Vehementi you can turn that off if you would like, but the only reason I like it is that if I do manage to get hacked and they try and run something, that will catch it first and prohibit it from running. But I agree it does get annoying, especially if a friend uses your computer and wants to install something, can easily get confused.

But give them a shot Phantasm, and let us know what you think fo them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back