TechSpot

Firewire and eSATA suggestions?

By giyad
Sep 23, 2008
  1. I want to buy a PCI card for my computer enabling both firewire 800 and eSATA, because I already own 2 firewire 800 drives and am thinking of purchasing an eSATA drive. Does anyone know if they make one card for both? If so, can you link?

2. NMCStudios

NMCStudios TS Rookie

I could be wrong, but it would probably be better to buy a card for the Firewire, and one for eSATA. I could be wrong, but I believe having them on different cards will dedicate them to different PCI buses...

3. giyad

giyad TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 59

Thanks, I guess I'll do that. was just hoping there might be a way to save money with one card for both.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

I didn't find any cards on my breif look through newegg. There was some drive bay thing for $16 but I didn't click on it.

I think NMC is probably right, just better off getting 2 cards. You can get some eSATA plates that just run a line to your internal SATA connection, so you could do that if you are concerned about using up PCI slots. Of course your case would need to have a 'slot' where you didn't already have one in use.

5. giyad

giyad TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 59

Thanks. I just wanted to get the eSATA port to future proof my PC, but I guess I'll just wait until I get an eSATA drive hehe.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.