TechSpot

Firmware problem

By tommy2k8
Jun 27, 2008
  1. Ever since I installed SP1, I get the message 'some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware. What should I do about this? Should I worry about it?

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Unless you experience shut-downs or other adverse operation, ignore it.

Apparently SP1 doesn't interact well with the ACPI management on some motherboards and, unless there is a bios update for that board dealing with the ACPI issue, there is nothing to do (I read it deals with the Sleep and Hibernate features).

3. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

I updated the BIOS last week, so it appears it didn't fix it!

It even appears when SP1 isn't installed, and now my client reports another BSOD 'kernel_datapage_input_error' - I've never seen that one before, and Windows didn't create a dump file!

4. CCT

5. tommy2k8

I have got my client a new motherboard, as everything else has been eliminated

Still got the same errors, although there's a slight modification to the Kernel error message that I got:

Performance power management features on processor0 are disabled due to a known firmware problem (16/1/09 12:03:37)

and at exactly the same time I got the same error message, but this time it was processor1!

Anyway, the only thing that didn't work after the new motherboard was installed, was the internet. I resolved that by uninstalling and installing ZoneAlarm. Then I installed the drivers from the motherboard CD.

The BSOD appeared this morning, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Immediately after, I performed a TuffTest. I did all the Certification Tests, the only thing that failed was the Fixed Disk, with an error code of F100; however, I did a full Surface Analysis, which produced no errors! This test brings up these results more than once!

6. CCT

Did you try a cpu replacement?

7. tommy2k8

Not yet

Not yet.

One question - why would TuffTest come up with Math Coprocessor Passed if the CPU was flaky?

(This may seem a strange question!)

8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Is this XP or Vista? This is a reported issue on Vista and there are no known workarounds, especially if you have an older chipset like the nForce2, whose drivers have not been updated for Vista.

9. CCT

I haven't a clue except that perhaps that is only part of what a cpu is composed of and showing Good by itself isn't indicative of a Good cpu.

10. tommy2k8

It is Windows Vista SP1, with an the most recent Intel chipset

A new motherboard was fitted, and it's done the trick - no more problems

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.