First batch of Android apps for Chrome OS have arrived

Shawn Knight

Staff member

android chrome google chrome os apps chromebooks android apps

Support for Android apps on Chromebooks has finally arrived. After making the announcement during Google I/O in June, the first Android apps for Chrome OS are now available to download – there just aren’t very many of them yet.

The first four Android apps for Chrome OS consist of a couple of familiar apps in Evernote and Vine as well as two that you might not have heard of before: Duolingo and Sight Words.

For those not up to speed, Duolingo is a language-learning app that teaches users Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and English free of charge. The app earned the honor of Google Play’s “Best of the Best” for 2013. Sight Words, meanwhile, is an app for kids designed to help improve reading skills.

These four apps are just the start as Google said they are working with a select group of developers to make more apps compatible with Chrome OS. Back at I/O, Google demonstrated a version of Flipboard for Android running on a Chromebook so it’s probably a foregone conclusion that we’ll see support for it arrive soon.

As The Next Web correctly points out, bringing Android apps to Chrome OS is a huge opportunity for Google. In addition to introducing millions of existing Android users to Chrome OS, there’s also the potential for both Google and developers to sell even more app to another group of users.

The aforementioned apps are available as of writing from the Chrome Web Store.

Permalink to story.

If they could integrate games from the play store I would buy a chromebook way before a tablet

Back