First Build and locks up randomly during OS install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i just built my first pc yesterday, it all went fine new motherboard,cpu and ram. It starts up fine, i can navigate the bios without it stoping at all, however when i try to install an os it will randomly at any stage of the installation freeze. This has happend on different stages of installation on both my copy of Vista and Xp.

I tryed to run memtest to see if it was a ram problem but within seconds of starting memtest my pc just restarted itself.

cpu : i5 2.66 , 750

Motherboard : MSI P55-GD65, P55, Socket-1156

Ram: 6 gb ddr3 1.5 v, triple channel.

Graphics Card : GTX 260 Core 216, i've also tested with an 8800 and a 8400.

PSU: 550 W i can get more information about this if needed.

Also i know that ram iis triple channel which that board doesnt support, which was a mistake on my part, however that cant be the problem? im trying to run it with juust one of the sticks.

In my ignorance of computer hardware i know i've probley made alot of mistakes with either what i've bought or how im setting it up. Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated im near to pulling my hair out over this.

Thanks

Okay, what power supply are you using (brand, model, amps on 12V rail)?

Okay, what power supply are you using (brand, model, amps on 12V rail)?

Hi, its a Jeantech, JN120F-600AP12v2, 6 amps.

Just to update i did get xp to install ok...by cleaning the disc, but it still froze after awhile on the desktop. I also got memtest working and it reported no problems

I think you may have misread the amps. The amp ratings are usually found on a sticker on the side of the power supply but you have to open the case to see it. They aren't on the back where the I/O switch is and the plug goes in.

I wonder if the power supply is faulty or marginal despite its nominal 550W rating. Did this power supply come with the case? Do you have another, better power supply to test with?

I think you may have misread the amps. The amp ratings are usually found on a sticker on the side of the power supply but you have to open the case to see it. They aren't on the back where the I/O switch is and the plug goes in.

I wonder if the power supply is faulty or marginal despite its nominal 550W rating. Did this power supply come with the case? Do you have another, better power supply to test with?

Well i replaced it and with another one i had lying around and its stopped the random restarts but the random freezes still happen, oddly enough i can play stressful applications like games without a crash but just using firefox or opening an installer will sometimes freeze everything.

From reading the sticker on the inside, the only amp rating i could find was 6. Would an incorrect Psu cause such problems though?

Thanks for the help

It wouldn't make sense if the power supply could run games but not a browser. But the power supply provides different voltages and different components use the different voltages to differing degrees so it might have an effect.

That said, just checking but after installing the operating system, did you install all of the drivers, including motherboard drivers?

It wouldn't make sense if the power supply could run games but not a browser. But the power supply provides different voltages and different components use the different voltages to differing degrees so it might have an effect.

That said, just checking but after installing the operating system, did you install all of the drivers, including motherboard drivers?

ah i didnt, that might be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back