First computer, can't get the video card to display a signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously this is my first time on the boards, but i did do a search for this topic, didn't find anything - so i apologize if its been tackled before. I've searched everywhere else I can think of, so hopefully you guys can help

Basically I have a Radeon 9200 on an ASUS p4p800 deluxe motherboard in the AGP slot with a 2.4 Pentium 4, and 256 meg of DDR RAM. Nothing else is attached yet, so no other perephials could be the culprits.

The system powers on just fine, but I'm getting no display from my card to my monitor, which makes setting up BIOS a little bit of a pain. . . I'm not sure if the MB doesn't realize its there. Also, I'm not getting any beeps from the bios, although I do believe the speaker pin is properly connected.

I've checked to make sure everything is seated correctly, and the video card is in place. I've also tried my roommates monitor, but alas, to no avail. Any suggestions would be SO greatly appreciated, its been a frustrating day. . .

In any case, I'm most likely missing something insanely simple, so if anyone would so kindly point out my screwups, I'd be much obliged.
little

You can be very certain there are only a handful things that usually cause this problem. Motherboard, CPU, memory or video card. The power supply may be at fault as well, so keep an open mind...

So any of these could be at fault. It could be due to settings, compatibility problems or a faulty device.

Also, I have found a common mistake is if you have front USB ports... You might want to check the cable that runs from the ports to the board. If you put it on backwards, many boards will not boot up.

First thing I would do is double check my settings. Secondly, I might try clearing the CMOS (you can short the clear CMOS jumper or pull out the round silver battery for a few seconds).

Next, I would probably start swapping parts out. Try different memory, a different CPU, a different video card. And if all else fails, your board is likely to blame.

Your mobo has a POST reporter. Can you switch that ON with a jumper? If so, LISTEN to what the mobo says if you can't SEE anything.

Also, if you've got an older PCI VGA card around, plug it in to make sure you're AGP slot hasn't gone belly-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back