First Fallout 4 patch will arrive on Steam next week

midian182

Staff member

There’s no denying that Fallout 4 has been a massive success. The game shipped over 12 million units at launch and broke GTA5’s record for the most concurrent Steam users less than a day after its release. Part of this is due to the game's enormous open world and the amount of freedom it gives to the player, but this also means there are a few bugs in Fallout 4, ranging from the amusing to one that is potentially game-breaking.

But now, Bethesda has announced that it will be addressing these problems by releasing a beta patch on Steam next week, followed by a full release on the PC. Consoles will receive the patch at a later date.

It's true that the freedom our games offer you can lead to unintentional consequences that are sometimes bad, when the game combines too many unexpected elements at once. Given the scale and complexity of the systems at work, especially when allowing you to build your own settlements, we're happy that Fallout 4 is our most robust and solid release ever, and we'd like to thank our amazing QA staff who worked as hard as anyone to break the game so we could fix it during development. But a hundred testers will never replicate the many millions playing the game now, and we're hard at work addressing the top issues.

Bethesda didn’t specifically say what problems the upcoming patch will fix, but it did tell players to expect more updates that are smaller and more frequent as it allows them “to make sure each fix is working right, as any change can have unintentional side effects in a game this huge.”

The number of bugs players have found in the game seems to vary from person to person. The aforementioned game-breaking glitch, which appears to come up once players have passed a certain point in the game or after they've unlocked/passed a certain location, will no doubt be the main problem that the patch addresses.

For the vast majority of people, Fallout 4 shows no PC performance problems, although there have been some reports of framerate drops when walking through certain buildings. This is apparently more of an issue on consoles, where the game noticeably dips well below 30 fps in areas such as rooftops and during interior battles. Again, this is something the upcoming patch may address.

Personally, after spending about 40+ hours in the Wasteland I have encountered very few bugs (of the non-mutated kind), no PC performance issues, and only one crash to desktop. Considering that Fallout 4 is such a vast game, and looking at the problems some of this year's other big releases have faced, you can see why Bethesda considers Fallout 4 to be its most robust and solid release.

Permalink to story.

I've seen many comments on the interwebs complaining about the graphics and such, but I sure hope that other companies follow suit. Lesser graphics, but good gameplay that is reasonably bug free, and a game that works at launch and doesn't need launch day DLC to be complete.

Wait wait wait....I thought certain companies *cough*MS*cough*Sony*cough* were saying that gaming on PC is dead!?? Did we just notice millions and millions of PC games come back to like in a single day!??? /s

Wait wait wait....I thought certain companies *cough*MS*cough*Sony*cough* were saying that gaming on PC is dead!?? Did we just notice millions and millions of PC games come back to like in a single day!??? /s
you forget apple say that too. PC is dead, buy new ipad pro :D . love to see I ipad pro do 1080p/60fps on Fallout 4.

you forget apple say that too. PC is dead, buy new ipad pro :D . love to see I ipad pro do 1080p/60fps on Fallout 4.
28.1 GB install size would be tough on the base 32 GB Model.

I have played 40+ hours and other then a few small issues with the tab key not flipping between the pip boy and main screen. As well as also avoiding the potential game crasher quest . I am very happy with the game

I have played 40+ hours and other then a few small issues with the tab key not flipping between the pip boy and main screen. As well as also avoiding the potential game crasher quest . I am very happy with the game

Glad to hear that! :) I'm still waiting on F4 (mainly for some free time to play it), but somehow I'm more forgiving for the Fallout series. I know there still wll be bugs, but if it's nothing game breaking it'll be fine.

I love this game. Even though it seems to be causing memory issues on Windows and crashes every few hours, it's not a big deal as it's a game that encourages you to use the Quick Save button a lot so you don't lose much. It's got such a great combination of questing and shooting and even building, where everything is optional and you can just go wandering to see what you can find if you want. Can't wait to see what the mods will bring. And I don't mind the graphics, sometimes I think they are beautiful in their own way.
The UI needs an overhaul though, the font is too big and some item names can get very long and get chopped off. Settlement building can also be annoying as the blocks prefer to snap into place instead of where you want them. These are minor and Bethesda may even provide fixes themselves in due time.

Brother stopped playing (all games) after fallout 2 had bug that prevented him from finishing. Guess I have to call him and let him know before getting this so he doesn't get disappointed again. Just after I recommended it too.

Bethesda has a history of buggy initial launches. Good to hear they are improving here! Still going to wait a little before diving in - system upgrade!

Iv played for about 10 hours and I spent half that time sifting through my items trying to sell stuff at the vendors. They need some kind of inventory filter when your trying to sell items. No bugs thus far.

I resolved my crashing issues by setting the Depth of Field, Godrays, Shadow quality and Shadow distance to the lowest possible values or Off. They hammer the CPU and framerate. I have everything else at High or Ultra and have my FOV set to 100. (3570K OC'd & GTX 780 on 1440p).

Hi treetops. I would suggest not selling anything (except useless Legendary items) unless you are desperately short of bullets in the very early game. Almost everything can and should be scrapped and put into the Workshop table (T) in Sanctuary to be used in building settlements. I have found no use for money except in building shops later and I currently have almost 20,000 mostly from selling unwanted bullets and chems. If you get into building settlements which is surprisingly engaging, you will want all the scrap materials you can get your hands on.

Back