First non-game software titles now available on Steam

By Jos
Oct 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As promised, Valve has officially expanded Steam beyond games, adding non-gaming software to the digital distribution platform. The initial offering is a little sparse with just seven apps available and it mostly comprises multimedia and game related tools. Specifically, 3D-Coat,...

Read more
  2. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 364   +66

Installing steam right now... I hate how you have to register with steam to play a certain amount of games but I don't mind buying software form them. Now they just have to make it easy for me to sell a game I don't play anymore.
  3. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

If you don't register you don't have an account. If you don't have an account, you have nothing to link your purchase to.

Also, selling games you own won't happen. Or at least I seriously doubt it will, but Valve always surprises me.
  4. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 364   +66

I have an account.
  5. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

So you're complaining for the sake of complaining?
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +71

Sounds more like having to run Steam to use an application is the problem. You can't run the apps you buy without authenticating. I can download software from other stores, like Nero's Website, and it doesn't need to phone home or some account verification for me to use it. So would you really have control over how you use an application or does big brother have the control?
  7. dennis777

dennis777 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 271   +29

Steam client authentication is so slow... so many to configure if your on a router... etc etc
    to much hassle to the paying customer...
  8. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 184   +6

To be fair though read the law it is actually your legal right to be able to sell items you don't use any many software houses may soon be forced to provide such services. Some companies like EA and UBISoft have already got in a place a scheme where you pay x amount (normally 1/3) to transfer a purchased game over to someone else. Just a money making exercise really.
  9. What are you talking about man ?
  10. jeffz6

jeffz6 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

Be prepared to pay alot more for you games then. Or how about sell back to steam for a reduced credit on your account?
  11. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Get a 18 rack of beer and watch the kids play the games now..
    :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.