First PC build please look over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this is my first build ever, I'm all ready to order. Do any of you guys have any suggestions or is there any compatability problems i should know about?

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail - $99.00

PSU: THERMALTAKE Silent Purepower W0014RU 480W Power Supply - Retail -$55.00

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $120

Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512K B L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor Retail -$146

Hard disk drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 3.5" Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM - $83

RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail - $81

Pri Optical:
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9SBLK - Retail - $25.00

Sec Optical: AOpen Black IDE Model DUW1616ARR BLK - OEM -$38.99

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128D Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail - $159

Floppy:
Update SAMSUNG White 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM - $7.99

Monitor: acer AL1912b Black 19" 16ms LCD Monitor - Retail -$250

Speakers: Logitech X530 70-Watt PC Multimedia Home Theater System - $50

OS: Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM -$88

Ok thanks in advance, I relly appreciate it

Those look like some excellent choices for a budget level gaming machine!

I see no problems at all. Wait and see what some other say as well.

i strongly urge you to protect your investment with a name brand top-notch surge supressor. if you live in the US i reccomend APC, but you may live in another country with different types of electricity. you'd be surprised how many people drop $1500 on a new rig and lose it the next month because they didn't buy a $50 surge supressor.

By the way zephead, I just finished building my computer, and back when I was picking parts you suggested the same thing to me. I followed your advice. Thanks!

I'd second the surge protector - can save a whole lot of heartache!
Good choices I think, but I would see if you can get some faster RAM chips, but my own memory of thinking that I have something faster in my own box, might be a bit askew :)

The only other things I would say are just a matter of personal opinion - I wouldn't go for a LogiTech speaker setup when a Creative Labs speaker set is far superior and still affordable.

Plus, make sure that you are sure about the LCD monitor as well - I prefer CRT displays because they offer much more colour clarity than LCD. This can be especially noticable in gaming with "darker" titles like Doom 3 which just look like they have had the brightness/gamma setting cranked right up when they are played on an LCD - you don't get the same amount of contrast and definition as with a CRT. I run a 19" Flat Viewmaster CRT, which was a lot cheaper than its LCD counterpart at the time, and looks a hell of a lot better for anything that is relying on graphics.

However - that's just my opinion - my house mate loves his Benq 19" LCD, even though he agrees that it looks **** when you put our monitors side by side.

Good system though! Looks like something that will be fun to play with! :D

All of them except for the speakers (tigerdirect.com) are from NewEgg.com, Its a great site and judging from all the reviews they have excellent shipping (Not free though).

Thanks for the advice zephead, I went to best buy and got myself a 2525 eP joule APC surge protector. I just noticed right now it also came with a "$15 value high speed internet cable" phone line thats like 5 feet long heheh :rolleyes:

I seached up Creative Labs speakers on Froogle.com and found Creative Labs 51MF4025AA002 - Inspire T5400 5.1 Speaker for $53 at AllInOneDigital.com. It looks like a great deal and comes with alot of extras.. and the total RMS power is 4 watts greater, if that even means anything

mmmmm as for CRT vs LCD, I'm going to college soon and I think a slimmer monitor would be the better choice. I'm on a 18'' viewable CRT monitor right now and its huge, the back extends a foot and a half. Plus lcds look cooler in my opinion

ok Thanks for all the comments u guys are great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back