First time gaming Build

Ben415

Hello guys, I have been thinking about building a new gaming desktop for a while now, but my old idea pad finally died, so it is time to do this I guess. I really just need a place to start as well as some advice on specific parts. my budget is about 1200-1500 dollars,

Processor: I was thinking I4 or I5, though I could use advice

Motherboard: Im really not sure what to use, But I do know I would like quite a few USB 3 ports, plenty of room for ram and room for improvements

graphics card: I like the nvidia Geforce GTX series, though which one im not sure. I Do know that I will be using 2 monitors, so 2 outputs is a must. The games I plan to play are starcraft 2, Skyrim, Fallout, battlefield 3 and the like. I dont really care to play everything on max all the time, but I would like to be ABLE to go to max, but be able to play normally on high settings

Power: I really have no idea what kind of power source I would use, so this is one place I need a lot of advice

other: This is the area where I feel im just going to forget something, like what kind of heat sink should I buy to put in the processor? Things like that would be very helpful

In the end, anything you guys can help me with is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Also just saying im not locked into the Nvidia graphics card, as I have heard great things about other cards as well.

Something like this is a good base. You can get a slightly lower motherboard, leave out the sound card, and put more money into GPU and PSU. Other people can help with that.

Do you need to purchase a Windows license, monitors, kb/mouse?

Only windows and Monitors, but I should be able to get a good deal on those from a family friend.

And I cant find much info on the Graphics card, it has 2 HDMI ports right?

Something like this is a good base. You can get a slightly lower motherboard, leave out the sound card, and put more money into GPU and PSU. Other people can help with that.

Do you need to purchase a Windows license, monitors, kb/mouse?

Use this TS build like Stick said. Increase the SSD to 256GB, cut out the sound card, and maybe up the GPU to a GTX 770. If you want, you can upgrade the motherboard, but it is fine as it is (I personally hate the gold color scheme).

I see, I see. For power, other than wattage what matters?

And I know im going to sound like a total noob, but if I leave out the sound card what wold I use/ just speakers? "im not very good at this"

I see, I see. For power, other than wattage what matters?

Are you referring to the power supply? Amps matter a lot, but these days if you just buy a quality PSU you'll be fine in most cases.

And I know im going to sound like a total noob, but if I leave out the sound card what wold I use/ just speakers? "im not very good at this"
A sound card outputs audio from your PC. You can connect to to speakers, home theatre system, etc. However, modern motherboards come with pretty decent sound cards built-in already, so there's no need to spend $90 on a soundcard.

A sound card outputs audio from your PC. You can connect to to speakers, home theatre system, etc. However, modern motherboards come with pretty decent sound cards built-in already, so there's no need to spend $90 on a soundcard.
Yeah, it just takes the encoding load off of the CPU. It is not important for builds <$1500.

Stickman, you said that a quality PSU would be fine. I looked around and there is little consensus on what qualifies a good PSU. Should I simply look for the highest watts and amps? or am I looking in the wrong places?

And what about the semi trivial things, like the heat sink on the CPU? should I find one with a fan, or are there other characteristics im missing?

And how major is the change from 760 to 770?

And the last question for now, I know I should have put these all together, but why should I get a HDD and SSD?

And the last question for now, I know I should have put these all together, but why should I get a HDD and SSD?
An SSD is fast which will provide speed needed for an Operating System. However it lacks in capacity for storage unless you have a large bank account. So the general consensus is an SSD of the OS and an HDD for storage.

Stickman, you said that a quality PSU would be fine. I looked around and there is little consensus on what qualifies a good PSU. Should I simply look for the highest watts and amps? or am I looking in the wrong places?
Ask JC713 or hellokitty[hk] as they are pretty good. You just need to look for quality brands and models (which they can provide) such as Corsair.

And what about the semi trivial things, like the heat sink on the CPU? should I find one with a fan, or are there other characteristics im missing?
Your CPU should come with a standard heatsink, which will be totally fine. If the time comes later on to purchase a better one, we can advise you, and it is an easy swap.

And how major is the change from 760 to 770?
Pretty good. Check TS benchmarks on our site. A 770 is pretty much on-par with a 680, which was the strongest single-GPU card last-gen.

A GTX 760 is enough for 1080P gaming. If you have money left over, upgrade to a 770.

Well, you do not really need to take it from a technical aspect. Just know that you need a reputable brand of PSU, since different brands use different OEM manufacturers. Corsair, XFX, and Seasonic use high end components, which make them very good PSUs. Rosewill PSUs arent as good but are better for budget oriented builds. Try to stay away from Coolermaster (I have not had good experiences with them). Antec is ok also. I would recommend that you purchase a Gold rated PSU (efficiency is rated with Bronze, silver, gold, and platinum) or better for any build >$1200.

Get the 2x4GB kit of Corsair RAM since your CPU will take advantage of dual channel memory. AMD Radeon graphics cards are great also, but I think for your build, nVidia is a better route. The 7950 and 7970 are also great choices, but like I Said before, I think nvidia is better for you due to its better drivers.

I see. And will the CPU come with any thermal compound to attach it to the heat sink or should I buy that myself?

Another thing, because of the sale on new egg I can get a 850 watt corsair PSU for the same price as the 650 watt, is there any danger in "too much power" or should I go for it?

Another thing, because of the sale on new egg I can get a 850 watt corsair PSU for the same price as the 650 watt, is there any danger in "too much power" or should I go for it?

An 850W will be good if you want to add in another GPU in the future (SLI). It doesnt hurt.

Well guys, I ordered everything, and because of heat issues that have wrecked computers in the past I am added fans, and building an aluminum and steel stand for my computer to get it off the carpet. Thanks a ton guys!

An SSD is fast which will provide speed needed for an Operating System. However it lacks in capacity for storage unless you have a large bank account. So the general consensus is an SSD of the OS and an HDD for storage.

So are you saying I should install my OS to the SSD?

Install the OS on the SSD. Games and files can be stored on the HDD. Your documents can stay on the SSD, but photos and such should be on the HDD.

Back