First time using forums, computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

damageo

well im pretty sure this goes here.

To start off my computer stopped working a couple months ago; it just turned off and i heard something fry in the computer. At first i thought my power supply burned out but i tested it on another computer it worked and i tested my cd drive, graphic card etc. Then i tested my motherboard and it didnt work so i figure i blew that. I went an bought myself an MSI motherboard that supports basically everything that my old mobo could do. I went home and i began working on it. I set up everything (cpu,cooling fan, ram, graphic card etc.) Then i set up all the wires into it from the power and reset button and the power supply cords. I hooked up cd drive/harddrive as well. Still not having hooked up my monitor and computer accessories (mouse,keyboard,headphones etc), I plug in the power cord for the power supply. To my delight it turns on and everything is running. I turn it off and set it up on my computer desk now hooking up my keyboard, mouse monitor and what not. Then when i tried to turn it on it fails to turn on. I try to keep turning it on but it doesnt work. I dont know whats wrong....

someone please help ):

You need to do some incremental booting.

First step is to try PSU, mobo, CPU, and ONE stick of ram.
Then add any other sticks ONE AT A TIME.
Then add your video card.
Then add your HDD.
Then any other miscelaneous devices ONE AT A TIME.

This will give you a good baseline on when something goes wrong.

Post back with your results and we'll go from there.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

oh yeah and there is a sticker under my mobo should i take that off?

just wondering if it has anything to do with my computer not turning on..

oh yeah and im following those steps right now

well i took everything out hooked up PSU, mobo, cpu and 1 stick of ram. i tried to boot and it didnt work :(

Did you check to make sure that the new mobo is not grounding on an old standoff? If the hole pattern doesn't line up exactly, then it could be shorting out on on of the standoffs.

no they linme up correctly. but there is 1 thing though i did not have all 6 screws for it so im using less than 6 do you think this has anything to do with it

how can i tell if my PSU is running power through my motherboard? i have an AGP motherboard so i dont have a LED light or anything to tell me... because honestly i dont even think power is running through it and i dont know why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back