Five planets line up in rare celestial array

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

Five planets line up in rare celestial array
http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/2220437p-2614222c.html
By ANDREW BRIDGES AP Science Writer
Published 11:40 a.m. PDT Wednesday, April 17, 2002

The five brightest planets visible from Earth have lined up in plain sight to form a spectacular celestial array that won't be seen again until 2040. Through the next four weeks, Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Saturn and Venus will appear tightly clustered in the western sky, forming a knot of planets that can be viewed in the evening...

Astronomers stress there is no astronomical significance to the pileup. It is, Beatty said, just a "pretty coincidence."

That hasn't stopped doomsayers in the past. In the months before the May 2000 lineup, some thought it foretold widespread catastrophe. No such disaster happened.

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING....AHHHHHHHHHHHH........WE ARE DOOMED, DOOOOOOMMMMED I TELLLS YAAA DOOOOMMMMED.....

Speaking of Doom, anyone knowwhen Doom 3 is comming ?:suspiciou

ah, a doomstir
Please push yourself away from the keyboard
The best game pales, when compared with the marvels of the universe

Hmmm...AMD sides with Microsoft in hopes of getting them to develop a 64 bit version of Windows.

IBM sells the majority of their hard drive business to Hitachi...

The five brightest planets align at the same time...

It's all a conspiracy!!! Big Brother is out to get us!!! We must fight back, now Gates has arranged the aligning of the planets to throw us off even more! What's next, 3dfx makes a new graphics card (it would be nice), Intel decides to call it quits, we'll be charged every time we get on the Internet! Ahhh...the madness!!!

Anyway, enough of that, this IS really cool though. I love anything to do with space. I'll have to take a gander (walk) outside one night to look at this sight.

So it wasn't just me - I tried KStars a couple of hours ago and the sky did look funny.. (KStars = Desktop planetarium for KDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back