TechSpot

Five-year-old discovers Xbox Live security vulnerability

By Shawn Knight
Apr 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Each month, Microsoft recognizes security researchers that help make their online services safer by finding and reporting security vulnerabilities. The March 2014 list is seemingly no different than any other... that is, until you learn that a five-year-old is among...

Read more

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 931   +248

"In a statement on the matter, Microsoft said they’re always listening to customers"

Statements are words and words are meaningless, only their actions prove/display their intent. Not hating on them they have improved on this front, but still have a long way to go before I am going to believe "they always listen to their customers" while they still shove products and fee's down your throat.

JC713 and NTAPRO like this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Wow this is a serious vulnerability... good they fixed it.

Props to that 5 year old.

4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +29

A brute force attack would never have anticipated blank spaces.

hopgop1 and spectrenad like this.
  5. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,193   +246

Is it me or am I the only one thinking tons of people found this out ages ago but wanted to abuse it then this kid told his dad and thats the only reason it got fixed... props for the kid and his dad but tbh I highly doubt this kid was the only person that found this....

6. Wow, how generous of MS, NOT!

They should have given him LIFETIME online access, 20+ games and a GOLDEN CONTROLLER.

Shame on you MS. Scumbags.

lmike6453 likes this.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

+1

MS is so incompetent, a 5 year old can get passed their security measures. And when proven how incompetent they really are, this is how they reward. They should have docked their entire security development department a full weeks pay and given it to this kid.

lmike6453 likes this.
  8. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 242   +55

As in the words we are typing and statements we are commenting on the Internet, I guess?

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,425   +822

Maybe MS should get rid of Nadella and offer the job to that kid instead, they can also pay him far less.

10. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

I'm pretty amazed by how a security vulnerability like this can even exist?

lmike6453 and St1ckM4n like this.
  11. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,104   +112

How does that even work? it's basic programming to check what he writes there. did they put only incompetent people to work on this next gen xbox?

12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,196   +751

it's called Security by Obscurity - basically the idea is that there's a wide open door in, you just don't know where it is. Back when windows 98 was the operating system you could install it and Office products by using the serial number 11111-1111-111-1111. (Just hold down 1 and let it fill in). It's a method for testers to install the product easily without having to type in a serial number each time. It works fine until someone figures it out. :)

lmike6453 likes this.
  13. But seriously, they would never do that, its a company

14. That won't happen. because what if he gets banned? no point.

15. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 436   +97

50 dollars prize? hahaha...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.