Fix Windows folder unresponsive/slow behavior, green loading bar

By Julio Franco
May 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Tech Tip of the Week An old Windows fix for an equally ancient Windows issue that unfortunately is still present in the latest versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8. This unresponsive/slowdown behavior is typically seen when browsing the "Downloads"...

Read more
  2. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 624   +57

Hmm, mine was already set that way and I'm sure I didn't do that. Any idea why? I'm using windows 8.

I know I did a few things to make my library folders go to my D drive(HDD) instead of my SSD, but I didn't change any settings.
  3. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 203   +24

In 7, I find no "Customize" tab. I'll assume that it is because I am not running indexing. However, I am rarely bothered by this problem.
  4. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 624   +57

You need to go to the actual folder location and right click the folder, not via the favorites bar in windows explorer. I'm not sure if that's your problem, but it sounds like it's' what I ran into.
    lmike6453 likes this.
  5. lmike6453

lmike6453 Newcomer, in training Posts: 98   +6

+1, so navigate manually to My Computer, c:\users\PROFILE_NAME\ and right click the sub-directories from there
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,017   +683

Thanks for the tip, Julio, this issue does annoy me from time to time.
  7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +82

+1, Good tip!
  8. javierkaiser

javierkaiser Newcomer, in training

+1, very nice!
  9. javierkaiser

javierkaiser Newcomer, in training

Would be very very very interesting something like this tip, but for the network. It take hell of time to try to connect to my other pc ... :-/
  10. Zeromus

Zeromus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Wow, no idea you could configure thumbnail generation behavior like this.
  11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,286   +281

99% of the time, I use the Detail view so as to get column headings {name, mod date, type, size} upon which you can click to resort the list - - very useful (at least to me) and getting the file info is much faster than creating thumbnails :)

12. Does this also work for DVDs?

I have some old data DVDs which seem to take forever to open. I've been trying to copy the contents to a new external but some of these DVDs are predicting hours to copy over. Any clue?
  13. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,719   +873

I gotta try this. Thanks Julio.
  14. spectrenad

spectrenad Newcomer, in training Posts: 81   +16

Mine was already set for General Items. Guess it depends on what you download more often.
  15. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,783   +639

Win8 must set the affinity accordingly.
    Docs folders for me are already set to General Items. Folders containing video folders are set to video, and music folders have the "music" setting selected.
  16. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,384   +607

The loading bar does nothing when browsing local folders, you can still click on what you want to go to. Much like the loading bar in a web browser.

Or is that just me? :(
  17. toooooot

toooooot Newcomer, in training

Another thought: if you have a secondary HDD, by default it goes to sleep after 20 minutes. So, when you try to access it, you might have similar delay. I changed settings under the power options in control panel for HDD to two hours. It can help too.
  18. THANKS, that did it!

19. Thanks man, it really works, now folder open instantly, change sorting detail, view, no more long rendering green bar

thanks really
  20. To me helped also: click right in given folder and then "group by" select "none".. For now,the folder with many audio,video and other stuff opens immediately.
  21. AnitaE

AnitaE Newcomer, in training

I can't even begin to do the fix. When I get the dreaded green bar, the only things that show in the left side are Favorites, Homegroup, and ThisPC...I can see the Download folder if I click on Favorites, but in properties, there's no customize tab.
  22. You can also use 'Organize - Folder and Search Options... - View Tab' - Tick 'Always show icons, never thumnails' and click [Apply to Folders] but that doesn't always work. Hence my search for more help and finding this solution. For me however, this tip only worked if I set to 'Documents' and not to 'General Items'. I was browsing Novell OES NSS volumes at the time. Hope this helps.
  23. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,286   +281

Usually, that green bar arises when the folder View choice is icons (try list or details) AND that folder has lots of pictures. I organize our picture archive into subfolders, like {family, friends, vacations, sports} and then subdivide those further by date or perhaps locations. In this way, icons are again safe to use and the time to search, create and display them is rational :)
  24. The fix worked! Thanks a million!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.