Fixed the SATA problem, but now a restarting problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydragon786

My PC setup:

- MSI K8N Sli nForce 4 mobo
- 3800+ Athlon 64 XP processor
- ATI Radeon PCI Express 16x X1600
- 1.5GB RAM etc etc
- 200GB SATA HDD

I had the same problem as you guys with the whole nvraid.sys. However, I don't have multiple drives, just one 200GB SATA drive. It just refuses to allow me to install Windows. However, on my CD, there was a "Promise 376/378 driver" for Windows XP. I remember my old MSI board used that to help install Win XP, so I tried using that when it asks "Press F6... etc" - Voila, it worked. I had also turned off all RAID functions in Bios, both Silicon and nVidia RAID.

Only problem I have now is that when I'm on Windows XP desktop, sometimes while doing various things, the pc just restarts for no reason whatsoever, like just restarts without warning (On desktop one second, next second I see the MSI logo cause it had restarted), bam. Can anyone help with that? Could it be a motherboard problem? The Win XP installation itself? Anyone have experience in this matter?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Okay, I managed to get the following blue screen that appeared:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

If this is the first time etc...

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001A (0x00041284, 0x01778001, 0x00000CAA, 0xC0503000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance"

Anyone know how I can fix it? One more thing - When I put a CD into my CD-ROM, the PC restarts automaitcally within a couple of minutes... It happens if there is any CD in the drive, whether putting a new one in or not. But if the drive is empty, I left it on for 2 hours, and it didn't restart once.

Any help would be appreciated.

run memtest 86+ booted from a floppy to test memory. Run for at least 7 passes. Any errors means your memory has failed.

Forgot to mention - I have two sticks of RAM in slots 1 & 2 - A 1GB in slot 1 and a 512MB one in slot 2.

My CPU is a tidy 39 degrees, and stays like that most of the time +/- 2-3.

Basically, I made a new PC. My new one has the configuration above:
- MSI K8N Sli nForce 4 mobo
- 3800+ Athlon 64 XP processor
- ATI Radeon PCI Express 16x X1600
- 1.5GB RAM etc etc
- 200GB SATA HDD
- CD/DVD-ROM combo drive
- Floppy drive
- Zalman CNPS7700-CU 120mm Super Flower Cooler

My PSU is a 550W Aerocool II : http://www.candccentral.co.uk/acatalog/Aerocool_PSU.html

Have you checked that the RAM is of the same type? Sometimes different types of RAM don't like eachother and can cause all sorts of problems.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Korrupt

I would recomend getting two identical sticks of RAM and then instead of using slots 1 and 2, use the slots with the same colour. I think on your board that would be 1 and 3. This will enable you to run dual layer.
Chris

Definately try running with just the 1GB stick for now. For the K8N mobo if you want to run dual channel mode they need to be in slots 1 and 3, but then they have to be same size.

Just a point of interest. Why would you buy a nvidia SLI mobo and then put in an ATI video card? Is the ATI just left over from some other PC build?
If not you might think about returning it for a 6800GT, then in the future you can get a second 6800GT and go SLI.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back