TechSpot

Flaky System After Ghost Explorer Restore from FAT32 to NTFS

By tucana1
Jan 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi... I recently upgraded the main board, CPU and RAM on my PC (changing all three entirely). I also had to change my D: drive as it seems to have failed at the same time, strangely. Anyway, I did a fresh install of Win2k Pro on the 8Gb C: NTFS drive and formatted the new D: drive with NTFS as it was a much bigger drive, at 250Gb. The old D: was 80Gb formatted with FAT32. The old C: was NTFS. I used Ghost 9 Explorer to restore data files to both C: and D:. However, after I did that, the system is highly unstable, rebooting with various 'bugcheck' errors in the event log (originally, the cause of these was that the system couldn't read my faulty D: drive, but it can apparently read the new one and is not crashing as often as it was with the old drive). It also freezes up totally frequently as well. I ran memtest86 from a boot floppy to test the RAM, which appears to be OK after an overnight test. I have loaded BIOS defaults with no effect. I have removed PCI cards to eliminate possible conflicts. I can perform a Ghost backup of C: OK, but the system crashes after a few minutes when I try to Ghost D:, or indeed when I try some other backup software on it, or, it seems,when I use the data that is on it for more than a few minutes. Is it a problem extracting files that were ghosted from FAT32 and putting them back to NTFS? (I did not restore the image, just individual files - i.e., pretty much all of the content of the drive, but done file by file as I didn't want to mess up the NTFS format of the drive). I plan to buy another memory stick and swap it out with the existing one just in case.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.