TechSpot

Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen speaks, considers return to iOS and Android

1. About a month after Flappy Bird was pulled from app stores, Dong Nguyen, the Vietnamese developer who created the game, has said that the game could make a comeback. "I'm considering it", he told Rolling Stone magazine in an interview...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

This guy is like "I took the trolls too seriously and I miss my $50k a day what an ***** I am."

9Nails likes this.
  3. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

No... no, probably not. He never stopped receiving ad revenue from everyone who still has the game installed and still plays. I'm sure he's not hurting for money.

Burty117 likes this.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

It wont be like earning $50k a day tho would it? I mean $500-1k a day is like earning $10 a day but $50k a day is like earning $12 a day compared to low income people which btw that extra $2 a day is MASSIVE!!!!

5. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Guru Posts: 305   +62

I was wondering what was action chess...

Then I saw the Drive Bye move...

6. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Damn this guy is brilliant, he makes a game that goes insane then removes it from the stores saying he can't handle the fame or whatever then a bit later he brings it back knowing people will probably go crazy over his game again for a while. Doing that his total income from this game will probably jump up a bit from last time, I need to remember this. It is basically the Coke and New Coke thing from the 80s.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,049

"While some called him a fraud, others accused him of stealing art from Nintendo"
    Sounds like sour grapes to me. If it was all his own doing, kudos to him.

8. fredderf81

fredderf81 TS Enthusiast Posts: 51   +40

"He was heartbroken to learn that a mother stopped talking to her kids, people lost their jobs, kids broke their phones, and more."

this guy... while quite a nice man, ethical, responsible, and many other qualities that are increasingly rare these days...does need to realize that he can NOT be responsible for what MORONS, *****S, DULLARDS, and irresponsible wastes of space do with their lives. if someone is going to quit or get fired from their job or stop talking to their kids because of a VIDEO GAME then maybe that person deserves to be fired...maybe we find that person who stops talking to her children because of a GAME and get the dept. of child/family services involved. these are always the types of people who blame someone else for their own stupidity. they are never the victim...of course it was the game's fault...not mine!! I hate these people.

9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Yea, im thinking it more sounds like the guy did this as a publicity stunt that actually worked out amazingly well. The game got over 50million more downloads that day when he announced that, id say his income skyrocketed.

Its not so much the game itself as much as the graphics. Many games on iPhone or Droid have roots in old Atari or Nintendo based offerings just like this game which is similar to a helicopter game on atari where you directed the chopper around as it constantly moved down and you had to push it up through obstacles without hitting anything. The main concern was that most of the graphics (Down to pixel level) are exact replicas of the Mario fish and pipes (Minus a removal of a fin or 2) which is why alot of people are saying he took an old popular games graphics (Mario) and released his own game with it because it was already appealing to look at and was very simple to create.

Either way, it does not matter in the long run but the guy clearly took more than just a hint from the mario games. Im not going to stand at a podium and accuse the guy of copying a game, but I do think theres more to this than meets the eye.

10. ..smart move!! with this public stunt, I'm sure when flappy bird hit the store again, he would generate more income than before