TechSpot

Flash drive problems.

By loki80
Aug 23, 2006
  1. I have a 256MB kingmax flash drive. When I inserted my flash drive in to my notebook computer, it was detected and ready for use. But, when i inserted it to my desktop computer (pentium IV, mainboard Intel), it was detected and show message "but i can't access it, and appeared a error "USB device not recognized". On the device manager, it's listed on Unknown device. My notebook computer has USB 1.1 ,desktop computer has USB 2.0. Then I disable a Universal Serial bus controllers "Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced host controller - 24CD" on Device manager, and my flash drive works fine. I don't know why, anybody please help me!

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

Did you restart the PC ?

Some PCs don`t recognize some USB flash drives automatically.

You just have to install/reinstall/restart manually.At least that`s my experience.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

do you have service pack 2? Are you running XP?
    The drivers for your flash drive probably aren't recognized.

4. loki80

loki80 TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's only don't recognized with USB 2.0 port. USB 1.0 and 1.1 work fine

5. loki80

loki80 TS Rookie Topic Starter

My flash drive uses USB 2.0, winxp SP2 isn't a problem. I thinks the problem's USB 2.0 on device manager, when i disable USB 2.0 port, my flash drive works fine.

6. apaullo

apaullo TS Rookie Posts: 80

maybe u need to restart ur pc before u can use it as peddant had said. and also if ur using win98 u need to install the driver first before using it

hope that helps

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

this definately sounds like a driver issue.
    contact the manufactuer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.