Flash Drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick summary of problem: I have a pc that when any removable drive is attached to the USB, the device is detected, however the drive does not show up in Windows Explorer. However, you can open Microsoft Word (and other applications) and the drive shows up there.

More details: Initially, I thought the problem was the usual problem where network drives were overriding the default removable drive letters, so I went in and changed the drive to (in this instance) the T: drive. The drive shows in Disk Manager, but not in Windows Explorer (or My Computer).

The odd thing is... I can open Microsoft Word on the computer and when I try to open a file, the T: drive is in my list of available drives.

I've tried changing drive letters, using different USB ports, and nothing seems to help. The ONLY way I've been able to get the drive to work is to have it plugged in to the pc BEFORE turning it on... then Explorer will see it.

While that's a temporary workaround, this is for a user's pc that I support, and I would like to offer a more permanent solution. Thanks for any help.

BTW - pc's are running Windows XP SP2.

Double-check your Windows Explorer settings, and your Disk Managment, because you are right: This is weird.
It just about has to show up in Windows Explorer if you see it in Word and in Disk Management. I suspect you are missing something so fundamental as to be overlooked. I would look for a "drive" in My Computer, then C: You should see the drive there, in just the same way as you see it in Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management. I would go back down the list in My Computer, line by line, as T has to be there for the other things you report.
and if you do not, it is a settings problem we cannot see from here.
You may have to run Windows XP in R or Repair mode to get everything back to normal views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back