Flashed a x800 sucessfully, but should i keep it

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

Recently i found the following post on overclockers

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17481933

Now at the time i thought i had the same card.( i have a x800le GTO) But it turns out that is for the GTO2 when mine is a GTO . Before i found out this, i had already flashed the card, supposidly to 16 pixel pipelines. After i ran a diagnostic on the card it still read at 12pp so i checked it out and thats how i found out it was for GTO2. Now it did say it was successfull, and the computer reads it as a entirely new graphics card, a x850 (still at 12pp mind). The question i'm asking is, is it safe to keep it like this.

Now i tested this on World of warcraft. The game took a bit longer to load than usual, graphically. Like the loading screen would be on and the ingame icon would appear, and then after a few secs the rest would pop up. BUT it does seem to run a bit better, fps seems a wee bit higher (by about 5 fps. in a place where my fps was usually 29ish but its been at around 35-40).

But im not sure the card is stable. I was planning on using it for a while to test it, see how it went. But though i'd better consult the pro's :p

any suggestions?

Is the core or memory running at a higher clock speed? If so, you might run into heat crashes and/or significantly reduce the life of your card. I know the stock heatsink and fan on the GTO's is a lot smaller than the x850. If you really didn't gain the use of the extra 4 pixel pipes then I would return it to stock.

aha you see m8 i'm safe there lol :approve: i dont notice the core and memory being any (or much) higher than what they sually are. But my card is a HIS card, its the first card on this page

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X800PCI_Series.html

big *** heatsink and fan lol so heating wont be to much of a problem. i am however having a heat problem inside my system but that will be getting fixed at the new year when i buy myself a swanky new case lol but even at that the card remains at 40 when idle (what that before) and goes to 55 when full load( done that before as well)

i am not getting the effext of 4 more pipelines cause as i said, not the right card. although it seems to be running a bit better. not by much though, nothing thatll be worth shafting my card lol

Well, if you haven't lost any features and gained some performance, I guess keeping it that way would be fine. Have you searched around for a BIOS hack that IS meant for your card? Maybe there is a different one out there that will get you the four extra pipes. Have you checked out this site? They have quite the BIOS collection for ATi cards. The guy that started and runs the site used to work for ATi and they have some overclocking software specifically for ATi cards.

I checked out that site. I posted in their forums and they say it cant be unlocked :( but now i got another problem...

NOW the card is running pretty badly. My fps in games has dropped alot(compared to what it usually is) and its becomeing very noticeable. So im wanting to return it back to normal (regular X800) but i cant seem to do it. I tried rolling back the bios using that program but itsstill registering as a

Radeon X800/X850 Series

And al the diagnostic programs picking it up as a X850. Anyone know here i can get the origional or a updated bios file for this? :confused:

but its not a X850. And because of this faulty reading my games are running worse. I'm needing to restore it back to normal

Right Guys heres the script,

As ive said i wanna flash the card back to the origional. Like a tit i didnt back-up the origional but i think ive found one online

X800 XL (PCI-E) 256 MB on this page http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/

Now i wanna attempt to Flash it with this. But its came as a .BIN file. I know these are sorta another version of ISO files (images that hold the data) . But i have never flashed a grafix card (or mobo) before (well using DOS, i usually have a prog that does it). So does anyone have instructions to how to flash,going from this BIN file? As i dont know whether 2 try and extract the files, Change it to ISO image and burn,put it on a floppy and throw it at the computer :stickout: , etc. I remember seeing that theres a command for flashing but i cant find it anywhere. I keep getting daft stuff when i search for flashing in a search engine (like flash drives an stuff lol :suspiciou ). I will this time back up the BIOS i have for it (i found the command for that). Although its a wrong bios it is still a working one.

So can someone help me out on what to do, or even link me to a site with instructions.As i dont wanna mess this up

*EDIT* I went and got ATIFLASH 3.0.9 and this seems to hav the utility to flash. Although when i try to run it, alot of info an options come up (comes up in a DOSPrompt screen) with commands to use them. But at the bottom it says "press any key to continue" and when i press something it close's. should i "attempt" to use this? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back