Flashing a BIOS when computer wont get past POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I have here a HP Pavilion 513c that needs a flashed BIOS. It boots up and begins with the standard startup features, but once it goes to read ANY of the attached devices, it restarts itself and locks up.

I know that the problem lies in the BIOS, but since it cannot load anything off of a floppy or bootable flashdrive, is there any way to flash the BIOS when it wont even load that far?

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the button battery on the motherboard, with the power off and unplugged from the wall outlet

I have tried that a few times, but only to get the same reaction.

Also, I am actually able to get into the BIOS menu and look at the motherboard info, but when I go to the boot order or to create a back-up of the BIOS, it restarts instantly and locks up.

Yes, countless times with tested good RAM (used in my main PC) and it's the same size and speed. I have even swapped the CPU with another one compatible with the motherboard, but to no avail.

I thank you for replying, though. I'm sorry not to have said it earlier, but this problem has me really frustrated... -_-;

Alright, I tried tweeking with the BIOS chip and I can now boot to my A: drive. I put my BIOS flash program on a floppy (After getting it to DOS with a bootable disk) and tried running the program, but it says it cannot be used in DOS mode. So close to solving the problem, but so far >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back