Flaw in Windows Me Could Enable Code Execution

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS | Thomas

Help & Support Center provides a centralized facility through which users can obtain assistance on a variety of topics. For instance, it provides product documentation, assistance in determining hardware compatibility, access to Windows Update, online help from Microsoft, & other assistance. Users & programs can execute URL links to Help & Support Center by using the "hcp://" prefix in a URL link instead of "http://". A security vulnerability is present in the Windows Me version of Help & Support Center, & results because the URL Handler for the "hcp://" prefix contains an unchecked buffer.

Affected Software:
Microsoft Windows Me

Patch availability:
Microsoft Windows Me

Wasn't there some sort of problem like this with XP a little while ago? I remember hearing about something quite similar.

Yes I think so. It was pretty bad, because there were quite a few people that knew about it and exploited it BEFORE M$ released the story, and SP1 to fix it.

Just what we need, another Windows ME flaw :D

I'm surprised they didn't find out about this sooner, with the same thing happening with Windows XP. What's that about?? :confused:

Solution, get rid of Windows ME. Has to be the worst OS out of Redmond ever.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Just what we need, another Windows ME flaw :D

I'm surprised they didn't find out about this sooner, with the same thing happening with Windows XP. What's that about?? :confused:

Maybe they didn't find out about it because there are only a few owners of typewriters with screens that are actually using ME ;)

LOL good point. It is kind of the same way as 98 and so on, where M$ is discontinuing help for those OS's, since they are getting outdated, and people should upgrade to XP, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back