TechSpot

Floppy disk error!  HELP!

By sprites43
Nov 21, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just recently purchased a new hard drive and tried to install it. In doing so, I unplugged the cables from the old hard drive and the floppy drive in order to screw the new hard drive in; I have an Antec 1080 case. I swapped the cables from the old hard drive to the new one, and put the floppy cables back in. However, when I booted up I got an error message, Floppy disk(s) fail (40) and I can't boot up into windows. I then tried to boot up from the old hard drive, and I get the same error message. I've checked the floppy cables countless times and they're in okay.

The kicker is, when I put a boot disk into the floppy drive, windows starts up fine. Does anyone know a possible solution or know what the problem is? My new hard drive is just sitting idle in my drive bay *sigh*

BTW, I have the latest bios, and I'm running WinXP Pro. Thanks.

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Try checking the cables on your HDDs and make sure the Master/Slave jumpers are set correctly. You may also need to check to make sure the drives are properly detected in the BIOS

3. sprites43

sprites43 TS Rookie Topic Starter

The cables and jumpers are installed correctly, but the floppy error still comes up. I have yet to setup my hard drives because of this floppy error. And when I swap the hard drives, the bios detects both of them. I don't think this is a hard drive issue. I even cleared my cmos, but still no go. When I go into my bios, and set A: to none, the computer boots up fine. So it has to be my floppy, but everything is installed okay. I still can't get over how the floppy error comes up, but I still can use my boot disk to start windows. Any other suggestions? Please.

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Do you have a floppy cable with 3 plugs? The plug at the longer end should go to the mobo. Also A: and B: depend on which plug they are.. Don't remember which way though..

5. Chocolatephil

Chocolatephil TS Rookie

Have u tried a different floppy drive.
    If so then it's likely to be ur mobo.
    If u say u've cleared ur cmos then it's probably a knackered floppy drive controller.
    Looks like it's a new Motherboard then. :(

;-)

Phil

6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

You pretty much have three choices here, try another floppy cable(that one could have been damaged when removing and replacing it) try another floppy drive, or replace the motherboard.

You might want to try disabling Floppy seek at Boot and see if it will boot to your OS, if it will and you don't use the floppy drive for anything, you can just remove it altogether. This is the option I would choose if it is either the drive or the mobo that is bad, this will allow you to use the system minus a floppy drive(as many newer PCs don't have one anyway). This would be a really good option if your mobo isn't still under warranty.

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I had the same thing happen to me today at work, and I've experienced this in the past as well...

The cable was in wrong.

I know you say your cables are correct, but you may want to second guess yourself. It's fine to have faith in yourself.. I have faith in you. :) But we all make silly mistakes sometimes. Try the floppy cable in different positions and see how it goes.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.