Floppy drive not able to read disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

huck_finn

Hi everyone,

I just built my first machine and I'm having a problem with the floppy. It wouldn't let me use Fdisk to partition anything in the beginning, but I was able to load Windows via a disk. After install, I tried the floppy again, no luck. I used the disk with drivers that came with the mobo, still nothing. I swapped it out into another computer and the floppy works, so I'm at a loss. I've also tried 2 different ribbons. I'm wondering if a Bios update will fix it?

Thanks for any help!!

specs:
Gigabyte KA8N Ultra-9
1gig Corsair DDR400
AMD 3200+ Venice
Sony Floppy Drive
Zalmann 7700 CPU Fan

Did you enable the floppy drive in BIOS? And in Windows?
Cable mounted correct? Using the proper 'twisted' cable?
When you talk about disk, do you mean floppy disk or CD?
Please be as clear as possible.

realblackstuff said:
Did you enable the floppy drive in BIOS? And in Windows?
Cable mounted correct? Using the proper 'twisted' cable?
When you talk about disk, do you mean floppy disk or CD?
Please be as clear as possible.

I did mean to say CD instead of disk... sorry, it was a late night last night.

The BIOS is set to boot from the floppy first, and it's recognized in the CMOS. The connections are right, and they're in all the way.. and power is connected.

How would you enable/disable it in Windows? And is there another spot in the BIOS I should be looking at?

FYI: I had linux installed and it didn't recognize the floppy either.

The light comes on, and it sounds like it's reading the card, but I get the error that there is no disk in the drive.... I've tried a few different disks. I'm getting a new SATA drive to install, and I'll need it to get the drivers installed.

OK I got it... you, and everything else I read was correct about the ribbon not being connected properly. I was sure that I'd had it in properly because of the pin/bump whatever you call it on the end of the ribbon... it should only fit one way right? WRONG! What I never noticed was the other groove on the floppy drive. I flipped the ribbon over and it's working perfectly... how could one little issue drive a person mad for so long!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back