Floppy Drives and laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hey, guys. Anybody know of a way to modify a desktop floppy drive to work on a laptop? I don't have the floppy drive that came with my Toshiba Tecra 8100, so right now I'm pretty much SOL.

Just buy a replacement drive used or new off the internet. Salvage around.
Or - remove the old drive and use an external USB floppy.

I did a BIOS update through Windows 2000 after installing all of the necessary drivers and utilities. It seemed to go fine, and the computer restarted after it was done, without a hitch. When it came back on, it sat for a few moments, reset itself, and didn't come back on again. The BIOS upgrade was going from 2.10 to 2.50. I want to use the F12 BIOS restore feature, but I need a floppy drive, which I don't have right now. Does this utility support using a USB floppy drive?

if your motherboard can boot off a usb device then yes. If not, then no.
Did you read the updating BIOS guide?

I did, but the problem is, I tried to use a USB flash drive with the utility, and it didn't read it: in fact, it didn't look as if the utility had activated the USB port. Since I can't boot the computer (There isn't a P.O.S.T screen or the Toshiba Logo, and the video card doesn't activate unless the utility is executed by pressing F12 before pressing the power button), I can't use a bootable CD, and the Tecra 8100's BIOS recovery program doesn't read from the CD. Is my only option scouring EBay or the internet for a Tecra 8100 floppy drive? If I took the laptop to somewhere like CompUSA, do you think that they would have free access to one of their Tecra 8100 floppy drives onsite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back