Fog on SoF2 with GeForce2 GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker3in4

Fog on GF2 GTS

I have a GF2 GTS w/64mb DDR. A game I just bought uses heavy fog so extesively, I can't play the game, fog is everywhere and it is driving me nuts. There is an option to turn it off in SP, but it doesnt work - it stays on anyway. There isn't even that option in MP, so I am stuck in fog in both SP and MP. Since the game doesn't allow me to turn it off, I am wondering if there is a tweak utility or some other way to disable fog rendering on the card itself? The game runs only in OpenGL, so direct3D tweaks wont help. Thanks in advance!

What game is it?
Fog may just be an intrinsic part of the game that adds to the game's realism. Maybe on lower difficulty levels the fog "of war" can actually be shut off or left on.

Or, it could just be that part of the game/level. Is it everywhere?

I am mainly referring to multi-player, and in those maps, it is EVERYWHERE. I agree that I think it is put there to add atmosphere, but when it comes to online play, I really dont care about atmosphere, I want to see my enemy and blow his head off. In singleplayer, some levels have it, and alot of it. Again, I just want to be able to see my enemies, because they always know where u are in singleplayer. This is just an option they should have put in the game for the user to be able to disable the fog. After all, the user (me in this case) is the one who plunked down the money for the game, so the user should be able to decide how they want the game to look, and if he/she wants fog or not. Any ideas?

/me points to the reply two posts above...

What game is it ?

Is it Deer Hunter ? in which case I could understand why you are trying to hide it.;)

If fog is to be rendered it can be disabled in-game, or in the games config file, course if we actually knew what the game you're on about was it just might be a bit easier to do.
I'd suggest for know opening the games config file with notepad & adding the line
seta r_dontrenderfog "1"
It won't work, but neither does anything else if we have no idea what we're talking about.

It sounds to me that the purpose of that fog is to keep you from seeing your enemy. Games like Starcraft, Warcraft and Dungeon Keeper, as well as many others, use this "Fog of War" to keep you from being able to see outside a certain range of your own territory.

I will also again ask the $64,000 question, What is the game you are refering to?

Originally posted by StormBringer
It sounds to me that the purpose of that fog is to keep you from seeing your enemy. Games like Starcraft, Warcraft and Dungeon Keeper, as well as many others, use this "Fog of War" to keep you from being able to see outside a certain range of your own territory.
No I think it's probably an FPS game like..... SOF 2 or Tribes 2 (Though that does Direct3D). A horrid game for fog use was Turok dinosaur hunter on the PC, again Direct3D only though.
Most use it for performance, don't really know of any opengl rts games that use fog of war

The game is SOF2, and i've tried everything in the config file to turn off the fog, it won't let me do it - that is why I ask if there is a tweak or another way to disable it on my video card. Whatever the purpose of it is, if I knew it was going to be like that I wouldnt have bought the game. The demo had no fog, CTF on multiplayer is covered with fog, as well as a lot of the single player maps, and makes the game worthless to me. It is only OpenGL as well as far as I can tell. Any suggestions?

Finally, the truth is revealed :dead:

Check your config.cfg. There is a gl_fogmode command - it should be set to value 0. Try changing it to 1, 2, 3...or even delete it altogether, but be sure, before you do this, make a backup of it, right click it, copy, then paste, and name it "configold.cfg" or the like.
If this problem absolutely can't be fixed, the developers wanted it this way and that's just tough for you! :stickout:

Editing the config files does no good, thats why I was asking if there was a way could turn off fog rendering directly at my video card. since no one knows how, and the sorry *** developers want to ram their fog down my throat, does anyone want to buy a slightly used copy of SOF2? I'm serious.

JAV, yes I have seen that and it does work for single player, but not for multiplayer, and the fog is much worse on CTF in the RMG. Everyone of those has a thick layer of fog that makes it impossible to play.

wot happened to my post??? :mad:

I posted here explaining that the fog i spart of RMG, and if you want to see you muct use the Infra red vision or the night vision goggles.

Removing the fog in multiplayer would be cheating as youd have an unfair advantage, as everybody else is in the same boat as you.

Ive been playing SOF II since before the demo was official, I hope my post wasnt deleted coz Im a 1st time poster,ive been reading these forums for 2 years im not a noob really :blush:

Originally posted by Thorne
wot happened to my post??? :mad:

I posted here explaining that the fog i spart of RMG, and if you want to see you muct use the Infra red vision or the night vision goggles.
The original thread got a bit out of hand with the whole removing fog = cheating, which isn't really what the thread is about, thus I deleted them all.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed my posts got deleted...I lost two kinda long posts...They could have been merged/moved into a new thread...But nooooooooo, Thomas had to delete them :stickout:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back