Folder Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I have a problem with a folder that keeps on freezing up. Whenever I'm just clicking on that folder or just highlighting it, the whole folder freezes up. I have to wait for like a minute for the freeze to be over, from there then I can access the folder. It doesnt happen if I use other programs (such as winamp) to open up the folder or acess the folder by activating the "folder button" (tree) in the explorer and use that, but if I click on the folder icon directly it freezes up. Other programs don't freeze up, just the folder. Also, when I view the task manager while the folder freezes, it shows two folders (the one that freezes up) not responding, when I only opened the folder once.

Any help? Thanx! I use windows xp home edition.

it's around 20GB of comic and manga books, like 8000 picture files. It was working fine until a couple days ago, I dunno what happened?:confused: It freezes when I click it in windows explorer.

When I move teh folder to desktop, it wouldnt freeze. But then I move it back to where it was originally or to any other folder, the freeze came back.

Did you add a new file to the folder in the last couple days? Before it started freezing and such?

I would copy them to a new folder, and then delete the old folder.
Then cleanup your temp. internet files and your Temp directory. Now rightclick your HD in Explorer, and run first Chkdsk and then the Defragger (may need all night, start it before you go to bed).

That should take care of your prob.

How I Fixed Similar Problem

I had a similar problem on WindowsXP SP 2 and needless to say, it was extremely annoying.

This is how I fixed it:

I noticed that this slowness was only happening when I clicked on folders that were located inside a folder which Explorer thought contained media. In my case, it thought that the containing folder contained music files. The way I could tell this was that in the lower right hand corner, there was an image of a note, and also, on the left hand side, in the shortcut bar, there were some useless options for playing music, and downloading music, even though the folder did not contain music.

Worse yet, this folder that I speak of was the root folder in a second hard drive that I had just added on. Unlike other folders, windows does not let you set what type of files are located on the root folder of a drive.

So my workaround was this: I went into a random folder which windows did not think was a folder containing media (you can double check this by right clicking on the folder, going to Properties, clicking on the Customize tab, and checking that the folder type template is "Documents (for any file type)". Then I went to "Tools->Folder Options->View->Apply to All Folders" and clicked ok.

In case that the folder in which you are seeing slowness is not the root folder of a drive, you should just be able to right click on the folder, go to Properties, click on the Customize tab, and set the folder type template to "Documents (for any file type)".

MICROSOFT... if you are reading this post... you better fix annoying bugs like this in Vista instead of adding useless features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back