TechSpot

Folder problem

1. I have done a restore and still no fix, I have used the male ware removal forum help and nothing. When ever I open my downloads folder it freezes the taskbar and my hole pc and on then next bootup it is so slow for awhile please help.

2. Cristy_m

Cristy_m TS Rookie Posts: 46

What did you use to remove the Malware? Do you get other errors or have problems doing anything else?

3. ProudBlackWomen

ProudBlackWomen TS Rookie Topic Starter

Iv used Maleware bytes, rouge killer, Microsoft security essentials and none of them found anything.

4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

It could be a download (into the download folder) became corrupted, and this has harmed the file system. The built-in facility 'chkdsk' is designed to check for and solve that sort of problem. Research how to do that (a check is quick, a repair can take a long time on large disks).

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

CHKDSK c: /f /r
    • /f says repair any errors
    • /r is a low-level inspection and take much longer

6. ProudBlackWomen

ProudBlackWomen TS Rookie Topic Starter

I just ran that, it says windows is all clean.

7. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,026   +51

If it helps, I would run MS Windows SFC.
    So that's; 'Start' key and 'X' together.
    From the small menu choose 'Command prompt (Admin)'.
    In the new dialogue box choose 'Yes'.
    Type sfc /scannow
    (Make sure there is a space after sfc)
    This will check and repair any O/S basic problems, it will take about 20 mins, let it run through and finish.)
    Also if it was my system I would run Auslogics Registry Cleaner, a free program that I have trusted for many years.