Folder Redirection in Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

I have been doing some work at a Library and one of the tasks is setting up Active Directory. I have never setup Folder Redirection before, but I am literally doing it exactly how everyone has told me to do it and how every page online explains it has to be done, yet when a user logs on, from any machine, even the AD server itself Folder Redirection does not work. Nothing happens at all.

The main task is to get My Document's for each user to be placed at \\SERVER\user\username\

In the settings I have set the Folder Redirection for:
\\SERVER\user\%username%

Now, I am 99.9% sure that I am setting this up correctly, but I think I am missing something else that needs to be done possibly?

Also, another thing is I have created a Visual Basic script which is executed when a user log's on. The script works perfectly when any user (in the Lib_Staff group) log's on from the AD server itself, but not from ANY other computer. Including 98, and XP machines. Neither execute the script. If the script is ran manually from any machine it works completely fine, but the script will not execute automatically at logon like it should.

What am I missing? Yes, the server has been rebooted.

Can't help you with the folder redirection :\

As for the logon scrpt, I assume the netlogon share is set up properly and the script placed in the right directory. It may be that running remote vbs scripts is disabled. Try with a simple batch file as the login script to eliminate problems with server-network-client setup.

Originally posted by Nodsu
Can't help you with the folder redirection :\

As for the logon scrpt, I assume the netlogon share is set up properly and the script placed in the right directory. It may be that running remote vbs scripts is disabled. Try with a simple batch file as the login script to eliminate problems with server-network-client setup.

I've tested the VBS manually on several machines which worked, and the script runs at logon on the domain controller itself.. hm..

As for the Folder Redirection, well it is "trying" to work, and here is the error I get in Event Viewer:

Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents. The new directories for the redirected folder could not be created. The folder is configured to be redirected to <\\kmlibsvr-1\user\%USERNAME%\My Documents>, the final expanded path was <\\kmlibsvr-1\user\cgrooms\My Documents>. The following error occurred:
Access is denied.

Now, I can create folders and files manually under \user\ and under \cgrooms\. I did a test on this and went to the My Documents folder and manually tryed to change the path to
\\kmlibsvr-1\user\cgrooms and it didn't work. I got basically the same error as in Event Viewer, access denied not all files could be moved to the new location or something along those lines.

Hmm..

Obviously this has something to do with security permissions. Ive now gotten it to move some files from my My Documents folder to my \cgrooms\ folder but it modifies the permission to where even I can't delete the "My Pictures" folder for example unless I change them manually so that I can delete the files.

Will look more into that...

AD is a pain the butt when you've only been using it for a week.

I can tell you it's a pain in the butt after a month too :p

Can't wait to get Samba working..

Where is Phant when you need him? :p He's probably thinking "gasp!! not an AD question!" *turns on his answering machine* "OII!!! must.... go... on vacation!"...

He's in Tahiti or somewhere now haha.

You got any idea on this Phant? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back