TechSpot

Folders such as My Computer, MY Documents, And Recycle Bin, Will Not Open.

By michael_edwardz
Jun 22, 2005
  1. I have a pretty new dell. We have windows xp with service pack 2. Every since a month or two ago, our folders...my documents, my computer, my network places, my pictures, control panel...and any other system folder that you can click on from the start menu and/or desktop won't open properly. But if you go into internet explorer and type in the name of the folder, then it comes up. I am really getting mad about this. When you click on the folder no matter where it is it will cause the computer to freeze up, or the screen to freeze, and a window pops up saying something about a watson debugger not working properly or something. I would like to be able to open folders the way i could before my computer messed up. Thanks...

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Maybe doing a repair install of Windows will help.

Instructions for the above can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. michael_edwardz

michael_edwardz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry, but it didn't help...

Yeah, i tried to reinstall windows xp, but it said it oucldnt do it, because the os i currently had running was of a newer version, and said i could reinstall it by uninstalling the newer version. But, i am not sure about doing this. What will it do? Will it erase all of my files/downloads/whatever?

4. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

You'll need to uninstall SP2 if it is not on the CD you're using. Which seems to be the case. Then you'll be able to follow Howard's link and re-install SP2 afterwards.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.