Folding@Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmboy5

I've heard of this Folding@Home thing for the first time like a month ago, and i was wondering if I could fold unused processing power from other PCs on my LAN to any other PC?

I have a Gateway with 180MHz Pentium Pro, HP with 466MHz Celeron, and a Compaq laptop with 850MHz Duron I hate my computers...not even 1GHz

I am basicly the only one that uses these computers (the gateway rarely) so it'd be nice if I could just use all the computer's processing power on one and be more productive.:grinthumb

and maybe same idea with ram and video!:D

hmmmm
fine, ill install Linux...
thats sucks... the 180MHz computer has not HDD space for it so itll only be 466 and 850...:(

well actually the 180 has another HDD that i got the computer to detect at startup but thats it...

I would reccomend Red Hat 8.0.

You're going to have to learn a whole new OS, however...

If you have any problems w/ it be sure to surf around the Alt OS forum.

Your 180MHz should have enough HDD space if you don't install much, like no Games, Soft. Development, etc. They can really eat up HDD space. My Linux install, which had almost everything except Server stuff, was 1.5GB I believe. Well worth it though :D

Originally posted by Vehementi
My Linux install, which had almost everything except Server stuff, was 1.5GB I believe. Well worth it though :D

There's no way that's true. Selecting the server stuff just installs certain services and activates them at boot time (i.e. DNS, FTP, MySQL, etc). A complete Red Hat 8.0 install is about 3.5 GB.

hmmm....
this is screwed:dead:

3.5 for complete, now only one computer has enough free space...

180mhz has 956mb free
466mhz has 3.43gb free
850mhz has 97gb free

im screwed...:(

it doesn't HAVE to be 3.5 GB. Its just that's a full install.

That could be moved down to even your lowest common denominator there.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
There's no way that's true. Selecting the server stuff just installs certain services and activates them at boot time (i.e. DNS, FTP, MySQL, etc). A complete Red Hat 8.0 install is about 3.5 GB.

Gah I don't remember.

well im on a trip right now and dont have the things needed...

ill install on my laptop first and see what amount i can manage...

i think ill wait on the 180 though, once i get a new computer, ill uninstall 98 (or just reformat the HDD) on that one and only have linux:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back